New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

USB video to macbook (no firewire)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trefzger

trefzger is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook that has no firewire port on it. It seams imovie will only accept a firewire connection. How can I connect my USB Panasonic MiniDV camcorder to my macbook to download video files into imovie? Is there a USB to FireWire adapter? Is there a program I can use to get the video onto my mac so it can be edited in imovie?

Please help.

Trefzger
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You can't.

OK...

The answer is that Apple never released any software that could read via USB from miniDV tape devices. So your absence of firewire is irrelevant in this case. I don't know of any third party option that can do that either.

What people do is use something like an Elgato TV tuner with a video input port. Search the forum for converting vhs/hi-8/tape via usb connection. It has been answered many times. Here is one for you.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
trefzger

trefzger is on a distinguished road

thanks that was helpful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to put VLC files onto DVD-Rs and play them through my 360? | Ratio problems in Final cut pro »