New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

quality loss from iMovie '06...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MojoRisinSD

MojoRisinSD is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have recently gotten into video editing like a lot of people who ask questions on this board, and I am having a slight problem with quality loss when I export my iMovie project to iDVD. The project is about an hour long and the DV file is about 20 gig. It looks great in iMovie but when it is transfered to iDVD (TAKES FOREVER) it takes a big hit in quality. Could this be because it has to cram over 20 gig into less than 5? or could it be the file format iDVD converts it to or what? Any help would be great on the compression or anything else that could help me keep the quality at a DVD grade. If I need to use ffmpegx to compress to different format, I could do that too. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

iDVD - under the Preference => project tab

what is you encoding set to Professional Quality / High Quality / Best Performance ?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MojoRisinSD

Actually it was set to best performance, it had me set it to that because it was too long and wouldnt fit the dvd I think.
QUOTE Thanks
MojoRisinSD

I guess Professional Quality would be the way to go huh? Is iDVD capable of burning to dual layer or is it impossible to encode to Professional with a long video?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

How are you transferring your edited video to iDVD?

If your drive can burn a dual layer DVD, then iDVD can take advantage of that. Open "System Profiler" in the Utilities folder. Under the Hardware section, click on "Disk Burning" and look at "DVD-Write". If you can burn dual layer it will have DL somewhere in that line, if I recall right.

In the "Project Info" window of iDVD there is a "DVD Type" choice. If it is grayed out, you probably don't have a DL drive.

BTW, I figure a 20GB DV file to be about an hour & a half of video.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Popcorn 3 Does not play back DVDs after first eject | Is it possible to put VLC files onto DVD-Rs and play them through my 360? »