New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

OS 10.5 - american lost in the uk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m3rs34

m3rs34 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I'm in the military over in england. i want to buy some movies off the economy but they have there movies formatted differently over here. I have heard for my buddies that have PC's that they don't work for them. I was wondering if there was a software that I could download or if the software was already build into the computer? If anyone knows...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP!!!

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

DVDs are region-specific and sometimes PAL-formatted. You could have trouble playing them on machines designed for the NA market. I'd stick to purchasing movies via iTunes, which will work anywhere.

Also, let's move this thread to a more relevant forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you are going to watch them via your Mac, and you use VLC player, then the region doesn't matter.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
m3rs34

m3rs34 is on a distinguished road

I want to go buy snow leopard at the apple store in cambridge. would it still work or are they formatted differently too?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
If you are going to watch them via your Mac, and you use VLC player, then the region doesn't matter.
I thought the drive itself is region locked in firmware. Regardless, any DVDs the OP purchases in Europe are going to be limited in their use state side, particularly with set top DVD players. I would avoid purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray discs for use outside of the region they were purchased in.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rs34 View Post
I want to go buy snow leopard at the apple store in cambridge. would it still work or are they formatted differently too?
No, data discs are the same worldwide. It's just movies that I'd be concerned about.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I thought the drive itself is region locked in firmware. Regardless, any DVDs the OP purchases in Europe are going to be limited in their use state side, particularly with set top DVD players. I would avoid purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray discs for use outside of the region they were purchased in.
Well yes it is, especially if you use DVD Player (I think you can change it 5 times) but for some reason VLC circumnavigates the issue.
That said, there are loads of region hacks for set top DVD players, to make them multi-region. There are even some for Blue Ray players now, but I agree, if you intend to pay them on a stand alone player, it's best to stick to your country's region (1 for the US).

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
sensiseeds

sensiseeds is on a distinguished road

I believe your DVDs are in PAL format. You need NTSC format. Buy a dvd player that plays both. Or use VLC player application this should work. Also you can always Make copies of the DVDs using a DVD copy/backup program. Make sure that the new burn is in NTSC format and you will be able to watch the video on all players.
QUOTE Thanks
Nikonshooter

Nikonshooter is on a distinguished road

Easy answer, go to your local Dixons electrical store. Buy a cheap DVD player under £30 as these are region free! That way you can watch U.S. & U.K DVDs and even bring home the DVD player so you dont lose out on purchasing DVDs in the U.K.

27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MKV with Subtitles -> Anything else. | Help with Log and Transfer in FCP7 »