Unhappy american lost in the uk
    Hello everyone, I'm in the military over in england. i want to buy some movies off the economy but they have there movies formatted differently over here. I have heard for my buddies that have PC's that they don't work for them. I was wondering if there was a software that I could download or if the software was already build into the computer? If anyone knows...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP!!!

Thank you

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    DVDs are region-specific and sometimes PAL-formatted. You could have trouble playing them on machines designed for the NA market. I'd stick to purchasing movies via iTunes, which will work anywhere.

Also, let's move this thread to a more relevant forum.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    If you are going to watch them via your Mac, and you use VLC player, then the region doesn't matter.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

I want to go buy snow leopard at the apple store in cambridge. would it still work or are they formatted differently too?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    If you are going to watch them via your Mac, and you use VLC player, then the region doesn't matter.
    I thought the drive itself is region locked in firmware. Regardless, any DVDs the OP purchases in Europe are going to be limited in their use state side, particularly with set top DVD players. I would avoid purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray discs for use outside of the region they were purchased in.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by m3rs34 View Post
    I want to go buy snow leopard at the apple store in cambridge. would it still work or are they formatted differently too?
    No, data discs are the same worldwide. It's just movies that I'd be concerned about.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I thought the drive itself is region locked in firmware. Regardless, any DVDs the OP purchases in Europe are going to be limited in their use state side, particularly with set top DVD players. I would avoid purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray discs for use outside of the region they were purchased in.
    Well yes it is, especially if you use DVD Player (I think you can change it 5 times) but for some reason VLC circumnavigates the issue.
    That said, there are loads of region hacks for set top DVD players, to make them multi-region. There are even some for Blue Ray players now, but I agree, if you intend to pay them on a stand alone player, it's best to stick to your country's region (1 for the US).
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

I believe your DVDs are in PAL format. You need NTSC format. Buy a dvd player that plays both. Or use VLC player application this should work. Also you can always Make copies of the DVDs using a DVD copy/backup program. Make sure that the new burn is in NTSC format and you will be able to watch the video on all players.

Easy answer, go to your local Dixons electrical store. Buy a cheap DVD player under &#163;30 as these are region free! That way you can watch U.S. & U.K DVDs and even bring home the DVD player so you dont lose out on purchasing DVDs in the U.K.
    27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 

Thread Information