New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

I want to hook my mac up to a tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msp2141

msp2141 is on a distinguished road

I have the cable and everything but i can't figure out how to get the image onto my television.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Ok.... what kind of mac do you have? what kind of cable do you have? what kind of TV do you have? does your Mac also have a screen still hooked up to it?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
msp2141

msp2141 is on a distinguished road

It is a macbook pro... my tv is a sanyo. I have the cords and everything already hooked up and the sound works but no image. I know how to do it on a pc but not a mac. I just need to option that i need to click to transfer the image
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Open system preferences, display tab, and see what settings are available there. If may be that its not mirroring or even recognising that there is another display attached.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

So you have it hooked in via...? VGA to svideo? tv has a vga input, dvi input?
Take a look at the settings that Christm mentioned.

If it's a svideo connector, you're gonna have to reset the screen resolution to something low if the Mac doesn't recognize it - usually you can only get away with a setting of 800x600 or at most 1024x768

If it's hooked via VGA or DVI, then if you're not seeing anything it's possible that the resolution is set to high on that output (or a set of dimensions not supported by the screen).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
ramenmeal

ramenmeal is an unknown at this point

change the input on your tv?
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

But what input would that be? I have an S-video cord, but no port on my MBP, so I can't connect. But 17" is good enough for me, most of the time.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Try going into the Display pane of system preferences and hitting "Detect Displays".

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Marking a certain spot on a YouTube video | Trouble opening windows media file on mac »