New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

.mkv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lookmanohands

lookmanohands is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 mdd 1.42 dpp 2 gig ram 80g hd leopard 10.5.8

hi... whats the best prog to convert .mkv to avi as iv searched and cant find anything free?.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

HandBrake

Google is your friend

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

i tried that.....it took 6 hours to convert on this and then the audio was too loud.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

But it worked.....

It's free, most programs that good cost an arm and half a leg....

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

it worked but the audio was that loud its unwatchable..... no idea how to adapt it so im now on a search for visual hub
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

first I've ever heard anyone complain the audio as being too loud - that's what the volume control is for

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

thanks for the pathetic sarcastic comment but it converted with very boomey,loud distorted audio for some reason.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

distortion is a whole other matter and would not be acceptable - wasn't being sarcastic - just have never heard anyone complain about a resulting encode being too loud in the approx 10 years I've been doing that sort of thing

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

no probs.... yeah for some reason its converted with very bad LOUD and distorted audio....unfortunately, im new to macs and the software and the fact that it took hours to convert has pi$$ed me of a bit.

i have managed to find a "good" copy lol of visual hub that works so im now converting it with that and il see how it goes.

some days these **** macs make me want to go back to a pc!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Why don't you either download Perian, or get VLC (I'd normally also recommend Plex, but I'm pretty sure it's intel only and you have a G4) then you can watch the mkv natively. I've got a lot of mkvs I watch with vlc and plex.

You say:

Quote:
some days these **** macs make me want to go back to a pc!
Realize, windows media player can't play mkvs natively and need codecs to make it happen - that's why packages like KLite and CCC are so popular, it's the same here - which is what makes Perian and flip4mac so popular - they provide the extra capabilities to the player to play formats it doesn't originally know how to play.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

iv got perian and when i try to burn the avi and the srt to disc, toast STILL says srt is unsupported.

iv just burnt the film with visual hub but theres no subs so im all ears to the next suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

Ok -

1) In this post, you don't refer ANYTHING to why you wanted to make AVIs - I assumed it was because you wanted to play the video files.

2) Also in this post, you don't ask ANYTHING about how to burn to dvd with srt subtitle files - you do ask that in another post, but I didn't read and reply to it until I had already read and replied to this post.

So - I'd suggest, when you want to do something specific - like in this case, take an MKV, extract video, audio and subtitles then burn them to a video DVD - ask it as a single question with a title like "How can I take a .mkv with subtitles and convert it to a video DVD?" that way you have the entire question you want answered in one post - and so you won't get half answers when people think they are answering your question, or offering potential alternatives. As well as, when you make a response like you did, people don't sit there scratching their head wondering why your responding that way with regard to what's been offered and your original question.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

whooaaa... nethfell... chill ya boots... no ones perfect.

ok. for the thick-uns that like it 1000% explained beyond beliefe..

i have a .mkv file with .srt subtitles i want to either convert to avi so toast will burn it, or something to fully convert it to burn as a dvd...iv got perian,vlc,toast titanuim,handbrake,visual hub....

please be gentle.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

And I am the first to admit I'm not perfect But I'll admit, it can be hard to be chilled when called a thick-un when the original question left a lot of open territory

Actually, I had already suggested an answer in your other post referring to handling of .srt files on dvds.

.srt subtitles

In terms of conversion, your options pretty much are: vlc (using the save function, but I don't know if it can extract subtitles), mpegstreamclip ( Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X ), handbrake. Conversion will most likely take time (as you've already noted) - you may also want to convert a shorter section of the video first to test audio.

I've never had audio convert hot like you referred to earlier - have you checked to see if the audio was hot in the original mkv?

QUOTE Thanks
lookmanohands

right.. il have another go lol.... iv dloaded mpegstreamclip and il see how that goes.....gotta goto work now so it`l be tomoz when i get it sorted...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .srt subtitles | hd camera and my macbook pro »