New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Problems watching HD videos on iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tapdance42

Tapdance42 is on a distinguished road

Last night I downloaded a TV episode from iTunes. When I tried to watch it, the video was very choppy, with the picture lagging way behind the audio. I searched online for help, and tried the suggested fix (upgrading QuickTime and playing the movie directly through there.) Same result. Next I tried transferring the episode to my (almost-new) iPod, figuring I'd watch it there, but got a message that the video wasn't transferred because it couldn't be viewed on an iPod.

I searched some more, and the only answer seems to be that I'm out of luck, because HD movies aren't viewable on the G4 OR on an iPod! iTunes didn't make this clear before download, nor do they offer a non-HD version of the show.

This is SO frustrating! Is there any way to watch my show, or did I waste my money? There doesn't seem to be a free version (Hulu, etc.) online anywhere, and I really resent having to rent/buy an entire TV season to re-watch one episode. I don't have access to another computer, and the suggested fix for this problem ("buy a new one!) is not an option.

What to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Can you give us the exact spec of your machine please?
Amount of RAM, processor speed etc. Thanks.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

iTunes should auto download an SD version with every HD video purchase.
The HD version will not go onto an iPod, but the SD version will.
All of my purchases have downloaded both versions for movies and TV shows.

Am not at my Mac at the moment and have not looked to see where the SD versions exist or how to play them/move them to iPod as I have only watched the HD versions thus far. Will check on this after work and get back then.

In the meantime, providing the info Kevriano has requested may get some help on possibly playing the HD version on your machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

This may also depend on the graphics chip you have. So if you can look in system profiler it will tell you what's installed. Some later ones could definitely handle 480p and 720p HD video, but none will do 1080i/p.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Tapdance42

I have an iBook G4 running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11. Processor: 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4. Memory: 512 MB. I'm not sure about the graphics chip--I looked in System Profiler, but I don't know what to make of all of the numbers there. In the Graphics/Displays section it says "ATI Mobility Radeon 9550" with chipset model ATI/M12, if that helps.

I'd read elsewhere that iTunes automatically downloads a non-HD version, but I can't seem to find it! When I search my computer, only the HD version is found. I don't really care about seeing it in HD--the regular version is fine. Where should I look for it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When you're looking at them in iTunes - there will be an HD-SD symbol at the right side of the name column- like so:

The only way I could find to play the SD version on mine was to either navigate to it's location in Finder or type it's name in Spotlight and it will show you both versions - then click on the SD version to start it.

It should auto sync the SD version when you try to drag it to an iPod though.

QUOTE Thanks
Tapdance42

My video only has the "HD" symbol next to it in iTunes. Does that mean I can't watch it?
QUOTE Thanks
Tapdance42

So apparently you have to buy the SD and HD versions separately--I wish iTunes had made that clear before I spent three bucks to download something I couldn't watch! Anyway, I caved and paid another $2 for the SD version. Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Do you still have a Download label in the sidebar of iTunes?

If so go there, and the SD download may be sitting there needing to be restarted.

If it's not, you may need to call or e-mail Apple to see if you can get the SD download.

What is the TV show you're trying to watch?

edit: No, you don't have to pay for both. I have gotten both SD and HD with every HD TV show I've purchased at $2.99.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro 5.1 Registration | Burning .mov to dvd »