New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Converting Real Media file to mp3 or wav on Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esotericat

esotericat is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: OS X 10.5.8

I'm wondering if someone can help me...

I have a .rm file (real media) in which I need to extract the audio (convert it to .wav or mp3) so that I can load it into my transcription software (express scribe).

I have tried using file conversion programs such as Switch, AVC Mac Video Converter, ffmpegX and a few others, and all produce the same result: the programs all say the conversion is completed, but the output file is 0 kilobytes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what program I can use to successfully convert rm to mp3 or wav, or what I might be doing wrong with these programs to obtain a 0 kilobyte file?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

You might try Max. I think it can handle RM files.

Max from sbooth.org

If the file is a video file, you might give handbrake a try. Convert it to a more compatible format and then try to extract the audio.

QUOTE Thanks
esotericat

Thanks for those, Ghostshadow. I've tried both, but neither will accept the file for conversion.

I guess .rm files are not conversion friendly. I've even tried online file conversion websites, and I tried programs on my PC as well, with no luck.

The file doesn't seem to be corrupt, it plays fine in Realplayer.

The only way I am able to convert it to mp3 is to use Audio Hijack, but that only records in real-time. I really need something that will do it in a snap (since I am going to be converting several of these files over the next few months).

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm willing to give anything a try...

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

When you tried ffmpeg, did you have the Real codecs installed?
Always worked for me....
https://helix-producer.helixcommunity.org/downloads.htm

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
esotericat

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly should I try downloading from the helix page?

I don't see anything that reads, "codec, or realplayer codec."

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Not a dumb question, I can't find it either anymore, and I downloaded it a while back (a long while).
You can try this: macosxhints.com - Convert Real audio and video into MP3 and AVI files
or I can try and find the download on my comp and send it to you?

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
esotericat

Thanks for that link...When I downloaded ffmpegx, those are the exact instructions that I followed. I just checked to see if all the files/binaries were in the right place, and they are.

ffmpegx goes through the motions of converting the .rm file to mp3, and gives me the "ding" sound (as if it was successful), but the resulting mp3 always has zero kilobytes.

I tried changing the file extension to .wav before converting, but that doesn't work either.

Maybe it's just the file itself...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Well, in that hint, it says there are 14 items to copy. In the codec folder I have there are over 40 (I found it!).
Also, there might be some newer encoding which ffmpeg cant convert.

After a recent reinstall of the system I don't currently have ffmpeg installed but would be happy to upload this somewhere so you can get it.
(6mb, zipped)

Haven't messed with converting .rm in a while so cant guarantee it'll work.

QUOTE Thanks
esotericat

Thanks cradom, I appreciate your offer to upload, but upon checking my folder I also have over 40 items (even though I've only copied 14).

ffmpeg must automatically add the others after it is initially opened... If that's not the case I don't know where they came from...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

That was 40 something just in the Real codec folder. I don't know how many ffmpeg has when installed.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie 09 video image quality after import | Converting protected video to iphone »