Thread: iMovie 09

iMovie 09
    So please someone help me out.

Here is the problem.

I want to import video clips into iMovie 09, they are in .Mov format. When I click the and drag ontoo of the open iMovie, nothing imports. I go to File > Import > Movies.....The files are blanked out ( grayed out ) and I cannot click them to import.

So does anyone know what is going on? I have tried other video formats too. Its annoying me as im new to this new iMovie as I only got my iMac today.

Please help if you can, much appreciated!!

For anyone else that may ever fall into this same problem.

It seems that some .mov files have certain settings and codecs that are not noticed by iMovie 09. Now what I have had to do is download this program > Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows to convert my videos into a format that is noticeable to iMovie 09.

Now this is not exactly what I wanted to do but if anyone has any other advice, please leave a message. Still this does work and you should be able to keep your HD quality through the convert.

( let me know if you have this problem to and whether you had any success. )

Peace!

sorry can't help im a fresh man of it
    Ugly Betty, got me totally

I have been able to convert the files as well using quicktime.

Yeah usually i just use MPEG Streamclip. Anyone know what the codecs that iMovie recognizes are???

i've been having the same problem thou none of my iphoto videos turns up in imovie. although a couple of weeks ago they have, which makes me very confused.

isn't there just a plugin you can install to increase the compatibility for imovie? that accepts all kinds of video formats

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Since mov is a catch all extension for various codecs, it's hard to say which codecs will and won't work. You can see the codec by selecting the file in the Finder, clicking "More Info" and looking at the codecs under "More Info" in the Information window. If iMovie won't accept it, take note of the codec, then convert it with Quicktime Player into something iMovie will accept. I don't know of any plugins that work universally for all codecs, but there is an mpeg plugin you can buy for Quicktime Player. However, there may be a way to get the new Quicktime X to convert it.

re:
    Quote Originally Posted by -NeedSomeHelp- View Post
    For anyone else that may ever fall into this same problem.

It seems that some .mov files have certain settings and codecs that are not noticed by iMovie 09. Now what I have had to do is download this program > Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows to convert my videos into a format that is noticeable to iMovie 09.

Now this is not exactly what I wanted to do but if anyone has any other advice, please leave a message. Still this does work and you should be able to keep your HD quality through the convert.

( let me know if you have this problem to and whether you had any success. )

Peace!

Which format did you convert it to?

Thanks,

Specs:
    iMac 24inch
    I have tried that squareed5 link, and I cant download it. Any more advice??

Thread Information