New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Imovie share to youtube, where are the files stored?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

If I want to watch a movie I've made for youtube on the local disk, where will I find it? If it's a temporary file, it doesn't matter as long as I know in the next few hours because it's taking that long to upload the large HD movie.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The only thing I see isn't playable. In a special Unix folder called /tmp, a file called tmpUploadFile.txt is created. That file has some XML wrapping around it which if stripped, would reveal the real MP4 file iMovie created and is playable. While the upload was occurring, I copied the file and hacked basic Perl script to strip the XML.

I think you are better off just downloading the MP4 file from your YT account. Oh wait, my test shows that content uploaded via iMovie 09, doesn't display a download button in YouTube. What's with that?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

I've just realised that once it is made for youtube, you can export it to the hard drive afterwards without needing to create the file again. Providing it is the same size of-course.
QUOTE Thanks
joeyboots

joeyboots is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I think you are better off just downloading the MP4 file from your YT account. Oh wait, my test shows that content uploaded via iMovie 09, doesn't display a download button in YouTube.
Youtube is weird like that. I actually do have that button on some iMovie projects that I've uploaded, but the button disappears after downloading a few files. A red bar shows up saying that "the file is no longer available for download", WTF?! Its like they don't want you to download all of your own stuff very easily.

Oh, and I was going to chime in with what the OP already discovered for himself. As long as you haven't made any changes to the project since uploading to YouTube, yes you can just export the file at the same quality settings and its super snappy, as if its taking that hidden file and just renaming it and making it visible. Weird.

I'm not a Mac. I'm not a PC. I'm a person.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Play AVCHD files | what is the best file for editing HD? »