New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

FCE .. Why does the scrolling text shake?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

George2224

George2224 is on a distinguished road

All I want to do is having scrolling text at the end ... as it scrolls up the screen it shakes the whole way .... it looks very unprofessional ...

I've tried everything ... size ... speed .. even keyframing it to smooth ..

Nothing works to make it scroll smoothy ... any help appreciated

George
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Google the following;
site:lafcpug.org text rendering tutorial
To understand the challenges review; "Scrolling Text in LiveType" and "Why Your Beautiful Motion Text Looks Bad in Final Cut Pro".

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
George2224

George2224 is on a distinguished road

FCE ... Scrolling Text Test on Vimeo

Thank you X .... It's FCE 4 .... and there's a 10 second sample .... It pretty crazy FCE 4 can do so many complicated thins with no problem ... Then you ask it to simply scroll text at the end and it can deal with it. No effects ... no motion ... no nothing .... just simply roll the credits and its jittery and jumpy the whole way.

I've put a lot of time into LiveType but never came away with anything I really liked .... I like to work in standard 1280X720 and in LT it involves custom settings then my 36 point font is tiny and I'm not sure what to do.

Plus you cant bring in your music to get a feel for the pacing. So you're operating in the dark.

I like to keep it simple with out all the needless bells and whistles.
I wish FCE 4 could simply scroll text without it looking like I have an earthquake effect on it ... lol ... geez ... thanks man ....

FCE 4 cant handle simply scrolling text ... not sure why ...
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Honestly, that's part of the reason I use a third party plugin for my text to do credits and such - for one thing, it can generate good roll, and makes it easy to do gutters and various fonts in a single credits roll.

This is whos credit roll plugin I use:

Plugins for Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express by CHV-electronics

disclaimer: I don't work for that company, or advertise for it for pay. I bought the plugin and am happy with it

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

A search shows this is a popular problem. Seems that most often the solutions are recommendations for DV interlaced video. So I'm not sure about the following...

I've heard that changing the speed may help, along with blurring the text slightly or using a drop shadow. One story I saw the guy replicated the text track and put a blur on the copy in the background. He even had cases where he used a third text track with a different blur. His story seemed to involve a lot of mucking around.

By the way, I downloaded your Vimeo file and did notice the jerky jumping action. Sometimes it seemed huge, but most times it was minor. I think it is a quirk of the eye. I did apply a small blur and reduced the brightness and noticed the effect less. YMMV.

Here is yet another link for ideas, although this one isn't about scrolling text.

I can see why Nethfel went with a third party package. If it removes all the hassles, it is worth a couple of dollars.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut - split screen,need to have both video's audio playing in the final product | New Camera! »