New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

video file conversions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andy_mac

andy_mac is on a distinguished road

Gidday,

Am trying to convert mpeg2 file to avi to import into i_movie.

First up, mpeg2 doesn't import. Is that correct or am i doing something fundementally wrong and second i do need to download a media converter mpegs to avi. avi to mpeg4 etc etc could somebody please recommend a free download package that'll allow me to do this.

Much appreciated. Am new to the world of Mac. Loving it, but it's a very different beast to windows (am I allowed to use the 'W' word on these forums?!?

Best,

Mac
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Handbrake should do the job for you. There are also presets available which will convert the video to formats and sizes that are friendly to certain devices and needs.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
G-Com

G-Com is on a distinguished road

Howdy all!

Andy,

Handbrake is awful at encoding movies to the AVI format; you can't skip forward or backwards if they're too large. At least that's been my experience with it.

I recommend iSquint.

Techspansion went out of business and iSquint and VisualHub (the shareware version of iSquint) are no longer being updated, but they still work.

Oh, yeah... this is my first post.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Format types - Mini DV, Harddrive or SD | How can I convert m4v to avi? Need help making vcd »