New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

.mts files using iMovie 09

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonyfoz

jonyfoz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09

Hi people!

This is my first post and all that so please go easy!

My question's are this...

Can I import .mts files (on an external Hard drive) into iMovie 09, or will I have to use file conversion software first?

Once my iMovie project is ready I would like to upload it to 'Vimeo' (like you tube) using the best quality settings. (retaining HD quality)

any help would be fab! THANKYOU!!!!!

Oh Yeah, using the following

Mac Book Pro
15 inch 2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Memory
320 GB gard drive
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I can't give tips on Vimeo - you may want to do a search for some previous posts from XStep, he has a tutorial for outputting for some of the online video services - I don't know if it would apply for vimeo, but I'm sure it'd at least be a good place to start.

In terms of the .mts - if they are the raw .mts files outside of the structure they would be in for say avchd, then no you can't directly import you will need to convert to something else to bring it into imovie 09.

You can try using: mpegstreamclip (which depending on what created the .mts, it may complain), handbrake, ffmpegx, voltaicHD, or Toast.

Here's a thread at apples forum that has a long discussion and some solution ideas:

Apple - Support - Discussions - raw mts files into imovie 09 ...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

Hey Nethfel,

thanks for the heads up!

thinking of downloading Apple - Downloads - Video - VoltaicHD

it's system requirements ask for iMovie (HD or 08) or Final Cut Express/Pro
i have iMovie 09 I guess would work ok?

kind regards
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It should work. I have VoltaicHD - it works, but it is slow.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

yep it's working thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
lediana

lediana is an unknown at this point

The best that go together.

credit auto
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

B~~~ger!

all has been going well with the file conversion from .m2ts to .mov, have had the odd crash of the software, but no big problem.

How ever..... I have just tried to convert a .mt2s file that is 1.8 Gb ( I understand that files over 2Gb are unsupported for file conversion ) maybe I should try and convert said file again when I get home from work, worth ago, but if it does fail to convert from .m2ts to .mov for a second time can anyone throw up some suggestions as to where I go from here?

T H A N K Y O U F O R Y O U R T I M E

jonyfoz
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

please anyone got any ideas, tried it agin and it still crashed.
QUOTE Thanks
spideymd

spideymd is on a distinguished road

I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS3 and a mac. The solution took me a while to find, but it is there and it is easy. If you just shot video in AVCHD format, put the SD card in your mac (directly or with a card reader). Use iMovie 09 --> File --->Import from Camera. A new window opens up with the built in isight. In the bottom left, change the "camera" to the card and you are all set.

If you have just saved .mts files on your harddrive, I'm not sure what to do. On the other hand, if you archived the AVCHD directory (in entirety) on the card, this is what I did: I replaced the AVCHD directory on my SD card with the AVCHD folder I previously archived. I was then able to import the video. I don't know of a way to import from the hard drive. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
saouri

saouri is on a distinguished road

hi!
I have a canon hf100 and I have already successfully imported files through iMovie '09 once. But I plugged the camera in again today and somehow iMovie doesn't seem to find it anymore - it only shows the built in isight camera, that's it.
What could I be doing wrong or what could be the problem?

Edit: I have now updated to iLife '11 and it works again. I don't know if that was the problem (would be quite odd!)... I just hope that it keeps working now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Audio not importing? | Weird Glitch in iMovie »