New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie: editing sound/music

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kyrre

I'm fiddiling around in iMovie at the moment with a project piece, I'm not to thrilled about it, I must say, working in After Effects before. Anyways, my question is:

Is it possible to crop the song in the iMovie file? I'm sort of importing a tune in iMovie from iTunes, and I get the whole song (of course), but I can't seem to stop the file at the end of the movie, instead it stops after the whole song (I have faded it out at the end of movie). Do I have to crop the music file externally?

And another quick question; is it only possible to do ONE saving of the project you're working on, and not "Save As.." like all Adobe programs?

*frustrated*
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrre
I'm fiddiling around in iMovie at the moment with a project piece, I'm not to thrilled about it, I must say, working in After Effects before. Anyways, my question is:

Is it possible to crop the song in the iMovie file? I'm sort of importing a tune in iMovie from iTunes, and I get the whole song (of course), but I can't seem to stop the file at the end of the movie, instead it stops after the whole song (I have faded it out at the end of movie). Do I have to crop the music file externally?

And another quick question; is it only possible to do ONE saving of the project you're working on, and not "Save As.." like all Adobe programs?

*frustrated*
well, don't expect your free iMovie to perform as 800$ adobe after effects.

you can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.
see the picture

now about the save as...
imovie does not do "save as", but there is one trick...
duplicate your project file (not folder) in finder and edit it in different way, save it. keep the original untouched or whatever you want
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 1.pdf (65.0 KB, 103 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dreric1kansas

I have imported sounds from a video I am into my new Imovie. I have used Imovie, SoundCompanion and I thinking you can also use QuickTime to edit sound as well. Imovie might be the easiest though.

Dr. Eric Flescher, (dreric1kansas@aol.com), editor MacsU.N.I.T.E. (Subscribe send email to : macsunite-subscribe@egroups.com) , MacCompanion Reviewer/writer (http://www.maccompanion.com/); moderator macintoshvideo@yahoogroups.com- to subscribe macintoshvideo-subscribe@yahoogroups.com; editor TechU.N.I.T.E. (Subscribe send email to PC version TechU.N.I.T.E.- Technology Users Network for Integrating Technology into Education- to subscribe send email to techunite-subscribe@egroups.com: techunite-subscribe@egroups.com)
QUOTE Thanks
Rockgin

Rockgin is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue as well in imovie. I would like to shorten the song from iTunes to the actual video length. I looked at the picture provided, but I don't have those arrows available to me in the music track to be able to do this... I think I'm using the most current version of iMovie. Is there a different way to access this crop function for audio?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-simus View Post
well, don't expect your free iMovie to perform as 800$ adobe after effects.

you can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.
see the picture

now about the save as...
imovie does not do "save as", but there is one trick...
duplicate your project file (not folder) in finder and edit it in different way, save it. keep the original untouched or whatever you want
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

First, when you ask about a piece of software, give the version of it. I'll assume iMovie 09.

If it is iMovie 09 (or 08 to some degree) I recommend you go review the Apple iMovie tutorials.

Looks like you can edit the starting and ending points via the "Clip Trimmer". You get to that via the wheel in the upper left side of the respective clip. That tip might not be in any of the tutorials. I experimented to find it.

As for the "Save As..", use File-->"Duplicate Project". If you are in your project, click the back button in the top left of the window that says "Project Library". Once you're in you Project Library, Hi-light the project of interest and choose "Duplicate Project".

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-simus View Post
u can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.
This is why people need to state what version of software they are using. In this case the PDF refers to an iMovie version before iMovie 08 & 09. Likely iMovie HD.

MAC-simus, I recommend you attach a PNG or GIF image next time. Those pop up in a window when clicked on. Your PDF, at least for me, downloaded and I had to go find it. An extra step I wasn't expecting.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgin View Post
I think I'm using the most current version of iMovie.
Thinking is not the same as knowing. In any application, go to the top menu item next the the Apple symbol, click on that (Usually the application name) and the first entry is "About <application name>". Choose that. In my case for iMovie it states two things, iMovie '09, and Version 8.0.2 (741). That is the information you need to post.

In your case, review the "Adding background music to your movie" tutorial. Also note my "Clip Trimmer" comment above.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 09- Best quality & fastest load time, what format? | Computer Screen Recording Applications for Mac? »