New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie 09- Best quality & fastest load time, what format?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thesnowboarder

thesnowboarder is on a distinguished road

I have been making some very fun videos and uploading them to my mobile me gallery. My main problem is getting them to load fast, and keep the HD or at least some good quality.

What are you guys exporting your movies as?

Ive been messing with the custom settings, exporting using quicktime, however I am yet to find a happy medium.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
thesnowboarder

thesnowboarder is on a distinguished road

No one is streaming there files on the web with good success?

The best way i have found is "share" then sending it directly to youtube.

However i want to be able to export in HD so i can toast it to a dvd easily but use the same file for streaming. Possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Now, first disclaimer:
I don't use iMovie for what I do. I've launched it like 4 times, 3 of those times on my Mac Pro to see what it was like before getting FC, and once on my mac mini so I could see what changed between '08 and '09.

I don't know how advanced the output capability is of iMovie, but if it were me, I'd:

1) Output mp4 w/ .h264
2) Adjust resolution to something reasonable - 1080i or 720p gets a bit big You may have to play with the size to find ideal, you may want to try your video at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution
3) Fiddle with your bitrate depending on your target audience. If people are going to be on lower end high speed, or dialup you're going to need a lower bitrate to make the streaming reasonable otherwise they'll be spending a lot of time buffering. A 4000kbps bit rate may yield an awesome video, but the file size will be large for longer videos. Try between 1000kbps and 1500kbps and see how it looks.

Like I mentioned, I really don't use imovie, so I don't know what kind of settings you have on your export; worse case scenario, you can output it in a best format and then use another tool to convert the video to a convenient streaming format like mp4 or flv (for use with a flash player).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If you are talking about a faster start time during a client web page viewing then use "Prepare for Internet Streaming". I'm assuming you are using the more flexible QuickTime export options. See my iMovie Export Guide for a little more.

I was just watching some movie trailers at Apple and noticed their 720p HD versions had a bit rate from 6100 kbits/sec to over 6700 kbits/sec. Those files are rather large but the quality is great. As you already know, it is a balancing game.

If you know some of your clients have slow downloads, then for them either make smaller image versions or send them a DVD with the content.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« very noisey harddrive | iMovie: editing sound/music »