New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Problem playing HD movies from Mac pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgvyer

macgvyer is on a distinguished road

I have attached my Mac Pro 2008 to a HDTV using DVI. I am playing .mkv files at either 720p or 1080p. No matter what program (VLC, Flip4Mac, Miro or DivX) I use to play these files, I always get intermittent horizontal lines on my HD Screen. I can play these files with no problem on my computer screen.
Why won't my HDTV play these files cleanly?
Thank you
Corey
QUOTE Thanks
Natedawg63

Natedawg63 is on a distinguished road

There may be a few issues... firstly, not all HDTVs are meant to display computer-based images just because they have a DVI port. Those DVI's are the first-gen HD ports, which was dropped in favor of HDMI. The ports were meant mainly for cable set-top boxes or Tivo-type boxes to display HD content in NTSC. Your Macbook Pro DVI is probably DVI-I and so is your TV probably. The specs for your TV DVI-I are probably RGB, so it needs a device that sends its color-space signal in RGB. The biggest problem comes with not all HDTV's w/DVI being able to work as a monitor - they can not handle the different refresh rates that a computer DVI sends out. In particular one HDTV I own that has a DVI port is a Sony 30" HDTV CRT-based TV with the super fine pitch screen. The manual clearly states it can not be used as a monitor - only as a TV with proper HD signal equipment.

If I knew your model HDTV - I could find out the specs... but dollars to doughnuts, it is not meant to be a HD monitor like most LCDs lately.

Nate
QUOTE Thanks
Natedawg63

Natedawg63 is on a distinguished road

One other lil tidbit... if your HDTV can be used as a monitor (LCD HDTV) - then you have to set your display card resolution to match your HDTV native resolution or you will not get the best results (example: 1366x768 = 720p). My son uses a Westinghouse 32" HDTV as his computer monitor and gaming screen. This HDTV has a VGA input port - this mates perfectly from the computer because it is the standard for computers... He jus uses a DVI to VGA cable and the TV and computer resolve all the refresh issues. Technically his TV is a LCD HD monitor with a TV card soldered onto the motherboard and not a pure HDTV like some others.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recommended Spec and software for mac mini to do video editing | need help with a canopus advc100 video converter »