New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How can I get Sony handycam DCR-TRV265E footage onto my Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicjonz

nicjonz is on a distinguished road

Hi all. I recently got a MacBook but have not used it very creatively...yet!
A friend has a Sony handycam DCR-TRV265E with lots of full tapes of footage. She has asked if she can somehow get it onto my Mac to then edit. I have no idea how to hook it up (or anything else at the mo!) as the camera has jacks not usb. Anyone know how I can go about this.

ANY help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nic.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The spec page says the camera has USB and i.Link (firewire) ports. USB will not work off of a tape camera so that leaves you requiring a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. Depending on local sources, it may be cheeper to order online.

If your Macbook is one the newer aluminum ones without a firewire port, then you have to get a gadget that accepts the analog input and plugs into your computer via the USB port. I use my Elgato Hybrid TV tuner for that.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
nicjonz

nicjonz is on a distinguished road

Ok, a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. I will have a look on Amazon & Ebay to see what they look like & cost. I'm guessing it will be pretty straight forward. xstep, thanks so much for your advice, good to learn something new & get to explore my Mac.

Nicola.
QUOTE Thanks
sanlee12

sanlee12 is on a distinguished road

on a separate note, i wanted to ask if a firewire convertor would be required to transmit video to the new unibody MBP? cus im not sure if the standard firewire plug goes into the firewire plug i have in my machine
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If you mean FW400 to FW800, yes that exists and is just a cable converter. You can find some at monoprice. Given the prices, you might be better off getting a single cable, 9pin-4pin.

If you are talking about FW-USB, no such thing currently available.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
jhatter

jhatter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PB : G4 : 1.25Ghz : OS X 10.5.8

I'm having problems getting iMovie 06 to see my DCR-TRV265E PAL camcorder. Did you have any luck Nic with getting video footage onto your Mac Book?

One of the suggestions by Apple is to remove the battery and the small backup battery for 5 minutes so that the Camcorder needs the time reset. I can't find the backup battery and there seems to be no reference to it in the manual or online.

Does anyone know where it is located?

My current connection is from the camcorder iLink to a 6 pin firewire port on my PowerBook. Would it increase my chances of compatibility if I bought a cable from iLink to the 9 pin firewire port?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« toast problems | Problems importing viosport helmet cam video to iMovie - 09 and HD »