New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

ZR930/G4 or G5 VHS to computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac Na'gev

Mac Na'gev is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 2.0, G4, powerbook mercury, G3 Power Mac

i thought with some dv camcorders you could bypass getting a vhs to digital converter box and go 'straight through' to record onto your mac? i have a capable G5 and a G4 AGP model with tv hookups. VHS recorder to camcorder to mac? Firewire and vhs connection to my camcorder all there but it dosent work. Is this possible with the equipment i have? Also have a new hannspress monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

A quick check of your manual suggests that model does not have pass through capability.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Na'gev

Mac Na'gev is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 2.0, G4, powerbook mercury, G3 Power Mac

i was seeing if someone knew how to do it because even some of the 'camcorders' of early said that they couldnt do it but you actually can.(some sony/jvc) I'm sol then.thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
csebes

csebes is on a distinguished road

- RCA (red,white-yellow) cables OUT from VCR to RCA ports camcorder.
- Firewire from camcorder to firewire on Mac

Not sure what mode your camera has to be in but try using both Playback and Camera modes and see which one works if you haven't already tried that. I think my camera has to be in Playback mode.

You may also have a setting in the camera to turn the Firewire/IEEE 1394/iLink/DV (whatever your camera calls it) on to see the signal.

Your software may have to be set to some sort of manual setting since it has no control over the VHS deck and would be looking for timecode from the camera. In Final Cut, I have to set my capture setting to "Non-controllable device."

Good luck.
Sebes
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Ripper | New Mac user looking for recommendation »