New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Watching Macbook on my LCD TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikealberta

mikealberta is on a distinguished road

i recently bought a mini-dvi to pc cable and a pc to hdmi cable which i was told that this would make it possible to watch a video on my computer on my tv. it is not working though...what should i do
QUOTE Thanks
mikealberta

anyone???
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There's no such thing as a pc cable, so I will assume it is dvi.

What do you mean by it's not working? We don't have a clue unless you tell us.

Guess 1 - There's no picture on the TV or the picture is not the computer screen??? Did you change the TV to the correct input? Have you tried removing and re-plugging all the cables to make sure the connection is good?

What TV is it - brand and model?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGnG

MacGnG is on a distinguished road

pc cable could mean a VGA cable maybe???
QUOTE Thanks
mikealberta

its a mini dvi to pc cable from the mac book and then a pc to hdmi to the back of my tv. i have a toshiba lcd and i put it on hdmi 3. i would figure that the computer screen would come up on the tv but it doesnt come up at all. maybe i have to set the macbook to a different setting or something? i have no idea
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is still no such animal, technically, as a pc cable.
And we do need to know for sure it is DVI and not VGA. If you don't know, look at the packaging again and is the cable called a VGA to HDMI or (1) DVI to HDMI.

If you had some idiotic salesman sell you a vga to hdmi cable, know this: it will not work. VGA will require a converter box to convert the analog signal to digital.

There is nothing you need to do on your Mac. Again, my best guess is that you have not changed the input on the TV, (2) by picking up the Toshiba remote and pushing the 'Input' button until it changes to the input that matches the one you have connected the Mac to.

There is nothing else I can help you with until you verify these 2 items.

QUOTE Thanks
mikealberta

yea its a mini-dvi to vga and then a vga to hdmi cable. so i guess that isnt gonna work. now what should i do.

thank you so much for the help by the way. i really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
mikealberta

i guess a mini-dvi to hdmi would work then right
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Most of the Toshiba line have a VGA port (typically called d-sub 15 in the owner's manual).

If it does and since you already have the mini-DVI to VGA, would suggest just getting a VGA cable.

If the TV does not have a VGA port, then you'll need to get the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

(mini-DVI to HDMI should work also, here's one on Amazon.)

You also need to consider the sound. Are you planning on running the sound to a separate receiver or the TV? If running it to the TV, some models do not have separate audio inputs to go along with the HDMI ports. Need to check yours.

QUOTE Thanks
mikealberta

thanks alot im gonna go with the mini dvi to hdmi...do i need a separate analog cable for the sound even when im using hdmi?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yes, you do. There is no audio coming out of the mini-DVI port.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacTheRipper ? - Other Video Software? | Camcorder: HD or not? »