New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Quick Question -- Burning Files Onto a DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drew

Drew is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this question sounds a little needlessly complicated, it is just that I am normally pretty clueless about these kinds of things so I decided to ask the experts on a forum like this since it has always been very helpful in the past.

That being said, basically what I want to do is burn some files that I found on YouTube onto a DVD-R, and while I think I sort of know what I am doing I still need some help. The first step that I took was to download all of the YouTube videos using the RealPlayer downloader, meaning that I have a library of .flv files.

From there, I know that I need a program that will convert the .flv files, but I don't know what program to use and what format I should be putting the files in so that I can burn them using iDVD. What program do you think I should use, and what filetype should I convert the files into so that I don't lose too much quality but can still burn them onto a DVD?

Finally, I just want to know if DVD-Rs are even what I need . . . as in, will iDVD on a MacBook Pro burn files onto DVD-Rs at all? When I went to the office supply store there was a wide variety of writeable CDs and the person working there told me DVD-Rs would probably be the safest bet.

I apologize for being so clueless -- any help that you could give me would be appreciated! Basically I'm looking for a guide for how to get YouTube files onto DVDs, but I wasn't able to find such a thing on the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I use QuickTime Pro to play those .flv files. I believe you have to add Perian to you system for that to work. Because I now read those files, I can export them from QTP into another format and even size. If you don't have QTP, then perhaps iMovie would work.

I'm not sure what format I'd used for iDVD from an flv file, perhaps H.264. Others can probably say more about that.

DVD-Rs should be fine. You can use System Profiler in the Utilities folder to see what Disc Burning says about that. That is under the Hardware tab. In the Disk Burning window look at DVD-Write and you'll see something like; -R, -RW, +R, +RW.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding RAM will make movie encoding faster? | Strange Handbrake-->iPod Touch problem »