New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Time Lapse Video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

So I want to make a video for a class of mine where it is time lapsed, but I didn't know what software to use or if you need a special camera. I have a mini dvr camera, but I didn't know if that would work or if you only needed specific software. I'd really appreciate it because I have to make this video by next Friday. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

usually time lapses are made using a setting in the camera. but if you wanted to use software just record with your camera for a given amount of time and speed it up as fast as you can in imovie export reimport and speed up again until it is as fast as you want to make it. I don't think imovie will allow you to do it in one shot.. but maybe you can.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

Definitely check your camera's settings first. Most Prosumer cameras will have it. If you have final cut you could always just hook up a camera and do a crash record straight into it. Then adjust speed as necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I used iStopMotion 2 to create this creation.

It wouldn't be quite the same, but perhaps filming something and then applying the fast of the fast/slow/reverse effect in iMovie HD would do the trick. Then remove the high pitched audio track and put something nice in.

If you have iMovie 08, not 09, I think this link will still download iMovie HD 6.0.4. EDIT: Seems that link doesn't work now.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually iMovie HD has a built-in time lapse feature:

Hook up your firewire DV cam, and the arrow button just underneath the camera toggle switch on the left should let you set it up to take an image every x intervals.

Perhaps someone can find a better description somewhere, but that's the way it worked with the built-in iSight camera.

EDIT: Here you go: CreativeTechs Tips: Create time-lapse videos with iMovie HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I used iStopMotion 2 to create this creation.

It wouldn't be quite the same, but perhaps filming something and then applying the fast of the fast/slow/reverse effect in iMovie HD would do the trick. Then remove the high pitched audio track and put something nice in.

If you have iMovie 08, not 09, I think this link will still download iMovie HD 6.0.4.
You're a brave man leaving your MacBook Pro strapped into the front seat while you went inside the gas station

Turned out nice though - great job!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
You're a brave man leaving your MacBook Pro strapped into the front seat while you went inside the gas station
Brave or stupid, I'm not sure. I didn't leave my truck out of site except to bathroom breaks. Also, the laptop had a lock connected to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Turned out nice though - great job!
Thanks. It was a fun project. I'm thinking of doing at least one more for a Vancouver city drive. I think I'll wait for the winter potholes to be fixed first.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
kayakjim

kayakjim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; Mac Pro, dual 30" cin. mon.

Nice video. I was curious about the reference to the "external iSight" camera used to film this time lapse. You didn't use the camera on the laptop itself?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjim View Post
Nice video. I was curious about the reference to the "external iSight" camera used to film this time lapse. You didn't use the camera on the laptop itself?
The camera on the MBP couldn't see over the dash. It was in the passenger seat belted in.

I have an external iSight and appropriate long firewire cable. I used a stretchy bungy cable to fix the camera to the pivot point of the visor.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 09 Stabilization | Best settings for Exporting HD for youtube on Final Cut Pro? »