New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Trouble connecting macbook to TV via composite video cable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacSauce

MacSauce is on a distinguished road

Hey

I recently bought the Dynex minidvi to s-video+composite converter. I used the composite video cable to connect my macbook to my TV. All the dv displays are grey fuzzy areas and lines that move when the macbook is connected to the TV. I've done some reading, and gotten a few ideas on other forums about what could be the problem. I've heard that it could be that I am not using monster cables. Ive also have read that I must switch my refresh rate from 60hz to 50hz in refresh rate for TV Display. However I don't have access to that window, which could be because of my converter. Could someone please help me pinpoint the exact problem here, and help me come up with a solution?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Verify the yellow cable ends are plugged into the same yellow connection at both ends.

Unplug them and plug them back in to make sure they are tight.

Try a different composite connection on the TV to rule out the individual input.

You definitely don't need to go spend the outrageous cash Monster gets at retail for their cables.

Have you tried mirrored and non-mirrored modes?
While in System Preferences - Displays, in mirrored mode, the window for both the desktop and the TV should show up on your MB monitor. You may have to move one to see the other.

What is the make and model of the TV?

Also,make sure you have the correct input set in the TV menu.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacSauce

everything is secure, and i havent connected any audio. And yes I've tried mirror and non mirror modes, I've tried moving all directions and its just disorted. Its like flipping to a channel that has no service on tv. My tv make is a sony projection tv, its not hd or lcd and does not support hdmi. Only way to connect macbook is to use composite video.
QUOTE Thanks
MacSauce

here is the adapter i am using

Computers: Apple Laptops and Computers: Dynex Mini DVI To Video Adapter (DX-AP100) | Best Buy Canada Web Store
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If the TV does not have another composite input you can try and you don't have an S-video cable to test that, next step is going to be either testing with a different adapter and/or testing on another TV.

(Yeah, I know, makes it hard when you only have one of each item.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pennydog1

pennydog1 is on a distinguished road

I've got the same problem. What screen resolution should I be using. I see something on the back of my tv that says 60HZ, so that should help. Don't know which numbers to pick.
QUOTE Thanks
funkypoodle

funkypoodle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz

The problem is probably the Dynex adapter (which i regrettably just bought too). After unplugging the svideo cable from my previous setup (eMac to lcd tv via svideo) and plugging the adapter into my macbook (yes, it's a pre-2009), i realized that my macbook recognizes the screen but that no signal at all is being sent. I spent an hour or so researching this problem only to realize that most people who bought this adapter have either a faulty image or no image at all. You are better off with the Apple Mini DVI To Video Adapter.

[SIGPIC]
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

funkypoodle hit the nail on the head. Apple's adapter is best for a cheap solution. But you'll also have to set your resolution to be it's best on the TV, although the TV will never be as clear as your Mac's screen, period.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
funkypoodle

funkypoodle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz

I took back the Dynex & bought an Apple one & it works right away! All of a sudden i have the option to use 60HZ or 50HZ and screen resolutions that weren't showing with the Dynex one plugged in. On the other hand now that it is working, for some reason the 'best for video' option I usually use is grayed-out...Anybody have a fix for this?

[SIGPIC]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« filming directly on to mac | Audio on Imovie!!! »