New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

MacBook - What are you guys doing about camcorders and importing footage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thesnowboarder

thesnowboarder is on a distinguished road

Since the new macbooks dont have firewire how are you guys importing footage into them? I ask because my camcorder has a firewire cable and my new macbook does not have a firewire port. Did a quick google search and found a few "converters" but am unsure if they would work.

So, whats the solution to this problem?
Thanks guys/gals!
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Well I would have solved that problem (If I hadn't got my MBP) bu simply capturing to my Vista Laptop via firewire 400 and then transferring the files over. Quite an inconvinience but I don't think there is any other way of getting DV onto the MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Does the camcorder only have FireWire? Mine has a USB-port as well so I guess it woud be possible to use that with Windows in Bootcamp, but I have not needed to do that....

Check out the Wondows-documentnation for the camcorder (assuming you have Windows on the Mac as well).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
Since the new macbooks dont have firewire how are you guys importing footage into them? I ask because my camcorder has a firewire cable and my new macbook does not have a firewire port. Did a quick google search and found a few "converters" but am unsure if they would work. So, whats the solution to this problem?
The converters will work, maybe a bit slower than a straight through firewire connection but should be OK. The only downside to the converters that I was able to find was their cost. If you can find one that is reasonably priced it would be better than trying a double transfer from the camera to another machine and then to your MacBook.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
thesnowboarder

i got this from best buy today:
USB Multi Cable with Firewire

For some reason, i cannot get the connection between my camcorder to my macbook via dv port on camcorder then this cable to usb. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
thesnowboarder

Anyone have any experience with the Sony Webbie HD camera?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
i got this from best buy today:
USB Multi Cable with Firewire

For some reason, i cannot get the connection between my camcorder to my macbook via dv port on camcorder then this cable to usb. Any suggestions?
It's not designed to use USB - firewire. Just for the convinience of only carrying one cable around for all your firefire and USB needs.
QUOTE Thanks
hmaletter

hmaletter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mabook 2.4 320 GB, 4GB Ram

From many searches on this very subject, I've come to the conclusion that some of us made a mistake. I needed to transfer my MiniDV tapes to my new Macbook, but cannot find a USB MiniDV camcorder. Canon models fooled me, since they do list USB, but found out that the USB connection is Only for still photos on the card, not the taped movies.

I'm debating what my next move will be here. Still keeping an eye out for camcorders that might work. But I think my solution overall will be to buy a PC for home use and stick iLife in a drawer. Not one of my favorite purchases, I miss my old G5 iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playing .mov files from a pc - mac | Photo Booth not recording my webcam videos »