New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

MacBook Pro Analogue Video Capture...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

I've found a few threads on this searching the forums, most of which went unanswered and info on the others is sketchy at best.

Basically I have a large amount of footage currently residing on SVHS cassettes, UMATIC tapes and various other analogue formats that I am looking to digitize.
It only just occurred to me that since selling my PowerMac I have no way whatsoever of doing a good quality analogue video capture!

Any suggestions and/or opinions on USB or ExpressCard hardware to do this would be very much appreciated, especially opinions form folks that have actually used it.

Many thanks in advance, Mick.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Primary options are Pinnacle and Elgato. Elgato is considered by most to be the way to go. I have the EyeTV and have used it only a little for recording HDTV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

another vote here for the Elgato. I have the Eye TV hybrid and love it. Now if I could only find my old 8mm camcorder, I could finish saving all my old home movies too.

QUOTE Thanks
mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

Sounds great, thanks for the replies and recommendations guys
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

dr dave is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_aka View Post

Basically I have a large amount of footage currently residing on SVHS cassettes, UMATIC tapes and various other analogue formats that I am looking to digitize.
It only just occurred to me that since selling my PowerMac I have no way whatsoever of doing a good quality analogue video capture!

Any suggestions and/or opinions on USB or ExpressCard hardware to do this would be very much appreciated, especially opinions form folks that have actually used it.

Many thanks in advance, Mick.
In the alternative, I use my Sony camcorder to get it into digitial. I can plug my VHS video deck into the camcorder and the camcorder into the Firewire port on the mac. Then I use my video editing program (Final Cut Express) to make a digital file. It worked on older iMovie editions; I assume it will work with new editions. Assuming your camcorder can do the job.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Split Screen Effect on IMovie? | Macbook Pro Dropped Frames Final Cut »