New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Final Cut Express - Cropping question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yasmin86

Yasmin86 is on a distinguished road

So I have a question about cropping. I just got FCE yesterday and it's a bit of a step up from iMovie and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I managed to figure out how to crop a clip into another clip, but I'm wondering if you can only crop in squares and rectangles? I saw a video made with Sony Vegas where they cropped a person, very accurately so. Can that be done in FCE?
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

dr dave is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1

Yes you can. You have to just wallow around to figure lots of stuff out in FCE. Look under right lower corner of the middle window at the icon that looks like a film clip. Click on the right side and experiment with the dropdown.

There is a pretty steep learning curve but almost anything is do-able. The most efficient way to learn FCE is to sign up for OneToOne at your brick-and-mortar Apple store. For $100 you get one hour each week of personal instruction in whatever you want. For two bucks an hour it is undoubtedly the best deal I ever got.
QUOTE Thanks
Slrman

Slrman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM

I'm sure that Apple Store instruction is fine, but I just got a set of 16 video tutorials for FCE and they are a "must have" for the FCE beginner.

Go to: Izzy Video Learn Final Cut Express 4 | Learn how to shoot, edit, and produce better video.

These are free! Yes, Free! (I like free)

As of last week, they were not downloadable, but I have iShowU HD and was able to copy them no problem at all. One thing, when saved as .mov files, they are quite large. But I used FCE to save them as .wmv files (can also do this with iMovie) and thy are very reasonably-sized now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you film virtual worlds (vSide) on iMovie HD? | Widescreen problems using FCE to iDVD »