New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

BBC Player download is here

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Great for all us UK users.

The beta of the new BBC iPlayer desktop is here, now Mac and Linux users can watch BBC programs offline

You can sign up at the iPlayer labs BBC iPlayer - Labs

Firstly my Mac is way under spec for the iPlayer Desktop, G4 733 Mhz 10.4.11 1 gig RAM (latest versions of Safari and Firefox), but I have got it all working.

First problem I found after installation was that any download link went back to the installation page, which told me I already had iPlayer installed, then nothing - no download.

Went in to Safari and set Firefox as my default Browser in the preferences. Now I could download programs fine using Firefox.

Next, downloaded Dr Who episode and would play (progress bar moves) but no picture or sound. Downloaded the latest Flash Player for OS X and cured the problem.

Playback on this mac is seriously choppy, but that is this old Mac, will work fine no doubt on a new Macbook I will buy in feb

Thanks to the BBC for getting out a cross platform download player, I hope to use it when the new mac arrives, until then I will stick to streaming video on this old machine

Just thought this info might help somebody

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Thanks, been waiting for this. Will download and try later on my iBook G4 1.2 ghz

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
f4afs

f4afs is on a distinguished road

yey finally can download top gear! thank for posting
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Thanks for the heads up on that!

I don't see why they are only valid for 30 days though if they are fully downloaded to your HDD. Also, is the video quality better running from the app than streaming on 'High Quality' mode?
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Yep, working well, thanks.
The only thing is, the BBC say it's for Intel only - that's not the case as I have it installed on a G4 with no problems.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

They say intel, but the download app is a Unversal Binary

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP burn a DVD from download | Burning Issues »