New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Can't Play AVI files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leoto

leoto is on a distinguished road

I had a few videos from my webcam off of my PC desktop, it was a Logitech webcam. They work fine on the PC, the open up in the programs and are viewable. I took them to my Macbook, and they will not play at all, I've tried every which way to play them and downloaded many different things I've searched online, and nothing seems to work. On my Mac, when I open it in Quicktime, the picture is black and no sound. I even downloaded Windows Media Player on my Mac to see if it worked since it worked on my PC, but i didn't work.
Is there anyway that I can convert this avi file from my webcam to another format that will play it? And if it's not possible to do it on my Mac, is there anyway to do it on my PC(Windows XP)?
Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

The reason the it wont play on the mac is you need an app called Flip4Mac this will give quicktime the information it needs to play the file. The other and better alternative for the player is VLC Media Player. VLC is open source and plays just about what ever you can throw at it, very good and I use it on both my Mac and my PC.

As for the video converstion I'm sorry I dont know of any but I am sure someone round here wil!

Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Flip4Mac is actually for Windows Media files. To play other video formats, you'll need the Perian codec pack.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

Ah, My mistake I got both packs at the same time and got confused - thanks for putting my straight on that one!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quicktime cant parse? | Getting video from iPhoto to iMovie »