New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Screen Video Capture

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raven

Raven is on a distinguished road

I have been asked by my teacher at college to do a few video tutorials for using a couple of porgrams

and as i use a Mac he was unable to suggest a program for doing this, i don't want to use a video camera pointed at my screen because it looks awful

can anyone point me in the direction of a good program for this fi one exists for the Mac

i need to be able to record my voice at the same time as i do the tutorials

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Raven
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

This list on Macworld might be a good start. I'm sure they did a write up of many of them, but I can't find it.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
ranjkennedy

ranjkennedy is on a distinguished road

I use 'screenflow' Excellent piece of software, lets you record the screen with the mac audio, or you can set it to the built in microphone so you can talk!

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Snapz Pro X is another great option
QUOTE Thanks
richarda1

richarda1 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a question for Screenflow users ... is it possible to create a picture-in-picture video (ie recording of the screen with facial video as well) with a html output of decent quality @ 1 - 1.5 MB/min?
I am a Camtasia Studio user who just bought a Mac, did the research and purchased Camtasia for Mac (because it seemed to be the best option) only to discover it won't produce a video as described above.
I create videos which are used within moodle for professional courses ... the mp4 files will not do.
Thanks,
Rich
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Personally, I use iShowU HD. I've had good success with it for what I've done so far. It does offer a PiP with a webcam attached. It offers multiple output options from which you need to choose what resolution and compression ratios you want to use. Since I tend to edit the final video in Final Cut, I usually use either AIC or ProRES which isn't meant for web use, but the program does offer a variety of preset web and other modes, plus you can set a custom mode.

Nice thing is - you can download it and try it for free.
Products

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarda1 View Post
Hi, I have a question for Screenflow users ... is it possible to create a picture-in-picture video (ie recording of the screen with facial video as well) with a html output of decent quality @ 1 - 1.5 MB/min?
The output capability should be similar to any other Mac video tool. With custom settings you should be able to lower the data rate substantially. Keep in mind that lowers the quality. As with any video output experimentation will be required up front for your unique needs.

I don't know that SF builds HTML for you. Most if not all of the screen capture applications have some kind of try before you buy option. I suggest you take advantage of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarda1 View Post
I create videos which are used within moodle for professional courses ... the mp4 files will not do.
According to the Moodle wiki, mp4 files will do.

P.S. Please stop highjacking hold posts with unique new questions.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

If you are running snow leopard, quicktime X has a screen recording feature. (file>new screen recording) It can record your voice whole recording too.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Oh man, I just looked at the date of the original thread, I normally don't like to post to threads that have been revived from the dead like I did :blushing: oh well, glad xstep noticed

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Oh man, I just looked at the date of the original thread, I normally don't like to post to threads that have been revived from the dead like I did :blushing: oh well, glad xstep noticed
Nothing wrong with resurrecting old post if there is something useful to add. Someone else will have the same question and find exactly what they were looking for.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie and ted.com | Transcoding a DVD to mp4 (h.264) - Quality? Bitrate? »