New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How can i save youtube vids on my desktop?

Thread Closed

deanobeano

deanobeano is on a distinguished road

I dont want to save them as an internet link file as it normally does on my mac. I want to keep it on my desktop as an MP4. Can anyone recommend ant free software that can do this please?
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

There's many firefox extensions out there which do just this

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

to download youtube videos as FLV use the firefox extension Fast Video Download

to make the FLV file in to an MP4 you could use MPEG Streamclip

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
brian0

brian0 is an unknown at this point

I use downloadhelper. (348,936 weekly downloads)
fast download has 71,987 weekly downloads.
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

TubeTV does a good job.
Luminosity

Luminosity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD

Best out there right now as a youtube downloader which can download them as fast as your internet can load them is called GetTube. Its also free, and you can donate to them whenever.
cubby

cubby is on a distinguished road

On the window tab (in Safari), I just click Activity. Under the Youtube link portion, there should be a link (when viewing the video) with the extension of get_video and you just double click it. Depending on the format the video was uploaded, it will download to your desktop directly. I've gotten .mp4's this way. Quick and easy and I didn't have to convert. Works for me anyhow.
oneshow

oneshow is on a distinguished road

hey, you can use "Flash Video Downloader 2" it's free.
All of youtube files are ".flv"
download here
Flash video Downloader - the most popular Flash video Downloader
wakeslayer

wakeslayer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3",2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.5.5

vixy.net : Online FLV Converter : Download online videos direct to PC / iPod / PSP. It's free! Insert youtube video url, and convert t mpeg4... this is what i've been doing works great.

how ya like them apples
uncaff

uncaff is on a distinguished road

If you use Firefox, simply add the plug-in DownloadHelper.
Get it by clicking on "Tools" and select "Downloads" then click on "DownloadHelper" to DL and install the add-on.
When you view an flv clip, simply right click on the screen, select the clip shown and voila, it's automatically DLed as you watch it. No extra software to install and hassle with.
Mufasa

Mufasa is on a distinguished road

Safari for me always works quick and easy.
borovy3488

borovy3488 is on a distinguished road

What i do is just create a bookmark (like above the tabs in firefox) that links to this code:

Code:
javascript:if%20(document.getElementById('download-youtube-video')==null%20&&%20!!(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)))%20{var%20yt_mp4_path='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt=18&video_id='+swfArgs['video_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t'];%20var%20div_embed=document.getElementById('watch-embed-div');if(div_embed){var%20div_download=document.createElement('div');div_download.innerHTML='<br%20/>%20<span%20id=\'download-youtube-video\'><a%20href=\''+yt_mp4_path+'\'>Download%20as%20MP4</a>%20'+%20%20((navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari')!=-1)?'(control-click%20and%20select%20<i>Download%20linked%20file%20as</i>)':('(right-click%20and%20select%20<i>Save%20'+%20(navigator.appName=='Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer'?'target':'link')%20+'%20as)</i>'))+'</span>';div_embed.appendChild(div_download);}}void(0);
All you do is go to the youtube video you want, click the bookmark, and there is a link to download the .mp4 from youtube! It just pops up under the video itself.

Have fun!
NightMoonFalcon

NightMoonFalcon is on a distinguished road

Keepvid is a great website. KeepVid: Download and save any video from Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, iFilm and more!

I Love, I Laugh, and I Learn.

Proud Mac User. Thanks Dad!

Thread Closed

« i need help importing videos from an SD card | How? »