New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How to properly install an audio codec for iMac OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esoterica

esoterica is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'm having trouble getting the sound for a downloaded movie (all other movies I've downloaded work perfectly with 4 installed audio players). All comments for this particular download indicate the sound and audio for this file are fantastic (so apparently I'm the only one with the problem).

From what I have read, it seems I may be missing an audio codec, but when I try to download any audio codec, the file appears in my downloads folder, I click on it, and then I get an error message that reads: "Quicktime cannot open because this is not a movie file."

I know that codecs are not "movie files," but what do I select to install the codec?

I am new to Mac, so I feel like I'm starting all over again (and have no idea how to "properly" install plugins, programs etc.....) :-)

Thanks in advance for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What is the codec and where did you get it? Are there not instructions on the site you found it on?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
esoterica

I've tried to download it from a few different websites, but here is the url from the most recent attempt... (there are no instructions included with the download link).

Download AC3 Codec X for Mac - Play AC3 audio in AVI files. MacUpdate Mac Audio Software Downloads

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Have you tried something like Perian or Flip4Mac?

That link lead me to another link that one of the commenters suggested going to get a version that worked with Intel Macs. In the Readme file I read, it says you have to "First you need DivX 6.0 to correctly load the AVI file into QuickTime". That update seems to be over three years old!

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
esoterica

Thanks for the suggestions. I've downloaded Perian and Flip4Mac, but unfortunately neither have solved the sound issue with this particular file. Can't think of what else to try, the sound will not appear with any player (including recent downloads of VLC and DivX).

All other movie downloads work fine, so maybe I'm not missing any codecs. The thing that bugs me is that no one else has the no sound issue with this particular movie download.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Putting movie on macbook | iTunes video for VJ software »