New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Trouble conv .avi to .mov w/ Divx Dr. II

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slates89

I have trouble converting .avi movies from my fav irc sites. Yes I have both codecs for MAC . Drag n' drop em into the window they start . Doctor starts, decompress starts and runs. Then iget get message waiting to QT flatten, then she quits on me. I am way back deted in OS 10.1.5 , have g4 imac, with 512 mem and plenty of hard drive space. The process works for most files just these few movies from an irc channel.
Any ideas ?
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Hrm..I'm not sure about the specifics, but as with all applications, if it starts acting up like those Unexpectedly Quits, normally you'd try to trash the prefs.

This can be done by searching for the applications name, and deleting the file in the parent Preferences, with an extension of .plist.

for Example, the preferences for iMovie are located in:

Home Folder>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iMovie3.plist

There ya go!
QUOTE Thanks
slates89

The application does NOT end unexpectedly, the process of compressing and flattening to the .mov file does not happen. Just seems to be happening w/ movies in .avi format I download from some irc sites. Works fine with other .avi files that I push through DivX Dr.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

There are all kinds of codecs..some of which are not available for mac. You probably came across one of the new ones.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience., George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you may have some codecs, but there are 3 in my plug ins folder. apps like divs dr. and toast work through qt, if you have the right plugin for qt, they can work fine. I have LOTS of codecs and so far, the only thing that wont play in qt for me is wmv, which is impossible and useless as a format.
QUOTE Thanks
ddietr99

ddietr99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Emac 1 Ghz G4, 80 Gigs, 256 Ram

I have a simular problem, when I convert an avi to mov, I get a mov file that works minus the video. Audio is fine. Any suggestions? I have the three codecs that Macman suggested to get in a different post ( thanks, Macman).

The only thing that stands between you and your problems is you........and your problems!
QUOTE Thanks
slates89

The DiVX site says to d/l and install codec from their site thats the one's I referred to.

Think I'll just install from my wife's OS X 10.3 and get away from the problem.

Have a hunch the problem is with the older OS 10.1.5, making backups of the files, folders and dmg's, then its a clean install w/o OS 9 etc. Will let ya know how it turns out.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietr99
I have a simular problem, when I convert an avi to mov, I get a mov file that works minus the video. Audio is fine. Any suggestions? I have the three codecs that Macman suggested to get in a different post ( thanks, Macman).
I used to have this problem. I had 4 codecs instead of 3, I noticed 2 were the same name, jst different versions of the same codec, once I deleted the older version, it was all fine. you might also try reblessing the plugins folder with those codecs. move them out of the folder, restart, put them back. also try taking them out when youre about to convert an avi, youll get an error saying you dont have a certain codec, just click ok and then after its done converting, put them back where they belong.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch665

This is another subject but I thought you might know about this. How can I get Windows Media Player movies into a format that Final Cut Pro can use?

All the best,

Fletch
ps I'm on a Mac OS 10.28. FCP 3.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen dump in DVD player | Frustrating Problem Converting .AVI to Format Useable In iDVD »