decent video player
    Hi all, Im using mac for more than 2 years now and I still havent found any decent video player. I'm looking for a free preferably open source solution able to play mpeg*, xvid, divx, wmv, asf, 3gp, mov and other as many as possible. I'd like it to handle subtitles properly[even with windows language encoding], to be able to adjust brightness, saturation etc., to skip forward/back in the video, have a simple playlist and be a native mac binary. To save some time I'll list some of the players I've already tried.

VLC - Is probably the best thing I found so far that supports all those formats. It's GUI is a bit scatchy and there are almost no key shortcuts compared to mplayer. Hard to find brightness adjustment etc.. This is what I'm using now. Oh and it crashes a lot.

Mplayer - If i'm @ linux this is what I use. Port for mac is crashing alot too. Brigtness adjustment missing and subtitle support is also weak.

iTunes/quicktime[pro] - I'd rather not comment on this, I'm new here and don't feel like trolling, flaming or whatever.

Miro - nice, but huge and slow. It's not built for everyday use media player.

Flip4mac & WMP9 - I... would not comment.

Real player - are you for real?

Cellulo - it's nice and has potential, but it's not that great.

So that's about it. I hope I didn't anger anyone and I'd like to thank developers of all the apps above for they'r time and effort.

cheers roman

Central Florida
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Not that this helps you at all, but I have 0 problems with VLC. I find it to be rather stable. I always use Xine on my Linux boxes.

I wonder if you could get Xine or a more stable version of mplayer using something like MacPorts?
    masakatsu agatsu

Thread Information