New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

decent video player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rippie

rippie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook

Hi all, Im using mac for more than 2 years now and I still havent found any decent video player. I'm looking for a free preferably open source solution able to play mpeg*, xvid, divx, wmv, asf, 3gp, mov and other as many as possible. I'd like it to handle subtitles properly[even with windows language encoding], to be able to adjust brightness, saturation etc., to skip forward/back in the video, have a simple playlist and be a native mac binary. To save some time I'll list some of the players I've already tried.

VLC - Is probably the best thing I found so far that supports all those formats. It's GUI is a bit scatchy and there are almost no key shortcuts compared to mplayer. Hard to find brightness adjustment etc.. This is what I'm using now. Oh and it crashes a lot.

Mplayer - If i'm @ linux this is what I use. Port for mac is crashing alot too. Brigtness adjustment missing and subtitle support is also weak.

iTunes/quicktime[pro] - I'd rather not comment on this, I'm new here and don't feel like trolling, flaming or whatever.

Miro - nice, but huge and slow. It's not built for everyday use media player.

Flip4mac & WMP9 - I... would not comment.

Real player - are you for real?

Cellulo - it's nice and has potential, but it's not that great.

So that's about it. I hope I didn't anger anyone and I'd like to thank developers of all the apps above for they'r time and effort.

cheers roman
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Not that this helps you at all, but I have 0 problems with VLC. I find it to be rather stable. I always use Xine on my Linux boxes.

I wonder if you could get Xine or a more stable version of mplayer using something like MacPorts?

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Managing a large library across multiple external HDDs (advice needed) | Pioneer External Dvd Mod. Dvr-x162q »