New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

AVCHD formats through FCE4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nuggetWRX

nuggetWRX is on a distinguished road

I am considering purchasing a JVC GZ-HD10 High Definition Camcorder which records all its file on the camera to AVCHD format. I read on the Apple website that Final Cut Express 4 (the $200 version) can fully work with the AVCHD format just like a normal .mov extension file.

I have been using Apple computers for about 2.5 years, I have a Power Mac G5 (right before they switched to Intel chips, the dual 2.0Ghz processors) at home 3 hours away and also a MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM) here at school. I have plenty of confidence in my processor on my laptop to be capable of working with the FCE4 program and AVCHD files but my question is will the quality of video be as high as if I were to edit the video on my G5?

Also, are there any other video editing programs for Mac that allow me to edit AVCHD that are actually worth researching? I hear Sony Vegas can work with it and maybe Adobe Premier Pro (??) but Sony runs on PC and APP is $700, way out of my price range.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
PilotRPI

PilotRPI is on a distinguished road

I'm having some trouble with iMovie actually using the settings I want in my output files, but I was thinking about FCE for my Canon HG-10 (also ACVHD). It seems like it is one of the top choices for Mac + ACVHD according to online reviews. I've been using a newish macbook for my Imovie processing and it seems to do just fine. I'm interested in what people think of FCE as well.
QUOTE Thanks
nuggetWRX

nuggetWRX is on a distinguished road

you can work with AVCHD on iMovie HD?

if thats the case, i like iMovie a lot already.
QUOTE Thanks
PilotRPI

PilotRPI is on a distinguished road

I'm using iMovie 08 with my AVCHD files. Seems to work nicely so far.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

AVCHD is converted when iMovie or Final Cut fetches the content from the camera. They do not edit it in it's native format.

The FCE specs say that an Intel Mac is required to handle AVCHD files. To get AVCHD to work with your G5, you need VoltaicHD.

The G5 will be fine for editing, but the better the video card, the better the performance for some things. See the specs.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

jonyfoz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09

Hi all,

First post on here so please go easy on me. On the same thread.... (I hope?)
I am looking to buying an iMac for the following.

I have a Sony HDR SR1 which uses the AVCHD format. I want to make home movies/snowboarding movies in this format. My question is this... I know that FCE 4 supports this format but will I be able to burn to a Blue ray disc and then play on a Blue ray player?

kind regards jonyfoz
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Not with FCE, although you can likely edit the content.

Toast 9 is suppose to have some Blue-Ray burning capability, as does Adobe Premier.

You may be interested in the Bruce Nazarian article.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
jonyfoz

jonyfoz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09

hey thanks

for your help xstep
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Movie format | youtube »