New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do I play MPEG on a Mac (for free) ?????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Smartiboo

Smartiboo is on a distinguished road

Please someone help me, it's driving me nuts
QUOTE Thanks
Smartiboo

Please someone help me before I go mad.....PLEASE!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Try Perian

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

A second vote for Perian.

Or you can use VLC if you're happy using a different media player app

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

Can you provide a few more details? What are trying to create an MPEG from?

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Perian has some problems with the latest version of Quicktime. I've uninstalled it entirely.

I'd recommend VLC Media Player.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Perian has some problems with the latest version of Quicktime. I've uninstalled it entirely.
What kind of problems? Haven't had any since i made the switch

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santino View Post
What kind of problems? Haven't had any since i made the switch
When I played the Apple notebook announcement from last month, every time I went to resize the window, Quicktime would crash. Initially, I thought it was Quicktime, but as soon as I disabled Perian, all was well.

QUOTE Thanks
Smartiboo

hi; im very curious; what do you guys actually do on your macs? ive recently had internet freeze whereby i just cant think of one thing to do on the computer. do you guys do gaming or something? can someone show me the light please? like giv me ideas of what exactly you can do on a macbook??? is there a world beyond youtube?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartiboo View Post
hi; im very curious; what do you guys actually do on your macs? ive recently had internet freeze whereby i just cant think of one thing to do on the computer. do you guys do gaming or something? can someone show me the light please? like giv me ideas of what exactly you can do on a macbook??? is there a world beyond youtube?

thanks
Odd question. Let's just say I do everything on my Mac that I would do on any other computer. It seems you feel inhibited in some way - what do you find lacking?

QUOTE Thanks
Smartiboo

no its not an odd question. im being truthful. im not talking about macs, im talking about computers in general and the internet. when i look at these forums, i can see masses and masses of topics; it makes me think that everyone else is getting the most out of their computer.

seriously; im not joking; what do you do on your mac? i hope thats not a personal question...

i guess a graphics designer could use his or hers mac to work on for their job; ditto somebody else that requires say a spreadsheet etc... but for someone who has no real use for a computer, im dying to know what it can be used for. you say 'you do everything' ... can you give me a small list of things as an example to give me an idea, so perhaps i can be inspired...?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Shopping, communicate with friends and family, store and edit photos, store and edit music, store and edit movies, surf the web, research work related topics, keep my calendar (ie: myself) organized etc... your motivation and resourcefulness are the only limits. I can honestly say, for example, I would never have been able to install a camshaft in my 2008 Daytona without knowledge gleaned from the internet.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Shopping, communicate with friends and family, store and edit photos, store and edit music, store and edit movies, surf the web, research work related topics, keep my calendar (ie: myself) organized etc... your motivation and resourcefulness are the only limits. I can honestly say, for example, I would never have been able to install a camshaft in my 2008 Daytona without knowledge gleaned from the internet.
Pretty much the same here. I also play games (both Mac and Windows). I work as a network admin in a Microsoft environment, and although I run VMWare with Windows for a lot of work stuff, I also use the Mac as an alternative OS for times when I can't get a failing hard drive to mount on a Windows machine (for example). I also test drive the new Linux distros that interest me on occasion.

I'm an old-school Amiga fan too, so I occasionally run emulators to play some of my old games. My Amigas are long gone now, but I've been able to image a lot of those floppies that some of those classic games came on (which is a good thing since most of them were destroyed in a basement flood just a few years ago).

QUOTE Thanks
Smartiboo

Oh right; that sounds pretty much straight forward. I do some of those things too.
I'll never forget my first experience with the internet (how could I?). I mean specifically the internet because I've used computers for ages. Do you remember the 'Amstrad 6128'? I was fascinated by that; but still, I only really played games on it. Nintendo, Sega, etc but NO Amiga. My friend had an Amiga and I was jealous; because at the time the Amiga was a cross between the best console gaming machine but also a nicely presented desktop pc... So I gathered. I remember one game he showed me which was some type of hostage game with guns etc? Like storming an embasy?
But i shall never forget when my brother first brough a rubbish PC back to our house in 1998. It was a pile of junk from 'Time'. With AMD inside. He told me to 'come here' because he 'had something to show me'. I went to the room and he was tapping away at the keyboard and giggling and sniggering at the screen. He was on 'Supanet''s chat, just a chatroom. I remember feeling disgusted at his behaviour and how i started dissing him and calling him names, saying how pathetic it was to sit there tapping away at the blue screen. Then i had a go myself, and I became instantly addicted. I felt like such a fool. I'm 29 now and supposed to know better; and yet when I turn on the net, I just can't think of one thing to do. There must be help forums specifically geared towards people in my situation....

P.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Burner & Printer duplication | Looking for a "Moving Picture" program »