iDVD upload ti iMovie after using One Step DVD in IDVD
    I have burnt a number of video casettes from my digital video camera onto DVD using the 'One Step DVD' function in iDVD. I now want to import those movies from the burnt DVD into IMovie for editing etc, however, iMovie does not recognise the movie file on the DVD. Is anyone able to tell me what the problem is here?

Thanks in Advance

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    You have converted the files to MPEG2. You need to convert them back to something iMovie likes. See this thread for one possible easy solution, and something like Handbrake to convert.

What you did is not the best solution for backing up your tapes. You have converted the files and re-compressed them. To keep the quality, you are better off importing to iMovie which will create DV files that you can then copy to DVDs as data. Toast makes that easier when the files are too large for a single DVD for storage. Where the DV files are stored depends on the version of iMovie you are using.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by xstep View Post
    You have converted the files to MPEG2. You need to convert them back to something iMovie likes. See this thread for one possible easy solution, and something like Handbrake to convert.

What you did is not the best solution for backing up your tapes. You have converted the files and re-compressed them. To keep the quality, you are better off importing to iMovie which will create DV files that you can then copy to DVDs as data. Toast makes that easier when the files are too large for a single DVD for storage. Where the DV files are stored depends on the version of iMovie you are using.

Thanks for that.

A couple of other questions. What is handbrake and where cah I get it from? and How much quality would I have lost by using One Step DVD to burn to disk, is it a lot less quality than if I use imovie?

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Google for Handbrake.

Quality loss is dependent on compression and further conversion and compression. There isn't a set answer because there are several variables. If you import from tape straight into iMovie, then as far as I know for miniDV, there isn't a loss at that stage.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Thread Information