Can't get anything to work!
    Hi, I'm very angry, almost to the point I'm going to throw my new iMac out the window. I can't seem to get any video editing programs to work for me. I have tried iMovie '08 and it have some problem which i can't figure out, closes randomly, Events won't import, thumbnails don't appear. etc. I have re-installed it many times with no luck. I also have Adobe After Effects. I really like it a lot but when I import video they become still when i play back and there still on the exported video but the audio is running. I have also re-installed that many times before, otherwise the program works great. I also have Final Cut Studio. I can tell that it is a good program but from what i can tell it is more for commercial use like on a imax camera. I am big on the whole subject of video editing and i do a lot of taping but i can't get anything to work. I have other problems to trying to get my camcorder (recorders on Mini-DVD's) videos onto my iMac. So i guess I'm just having really bad luck. If someone could tell me how to fix my problems or get a different program (Mac or Windows) that wold be fantastic.

On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    This isn't easily debuggable from afar. You didn't mention the version of your iMac or the software, so that makes responding even more difficult.

Things I would try are; Fix permissions, remove the preferences file for the particular application causing problems, remove third party video codecs such as Perian, make sure you have plenty of disc space.

You mentioned mini-dvds. I think most of those cameras record in MPEG-2 and the files have to be converted. Search this forum for some answers to that. Perhaps MPEG StreamClip will solve that issue. Of course you Mac can't accept small dvd discs.

If the camera has a firewire port, that would be the easiest way to port video to your Mac.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Thread Information