New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

video converter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spasm

spasm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook ali

hi all is there a free download out there for a movie or video clip converter for mac, i need to change an AVI to mp4 an such like cheers
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

MPEGStreamclip will do that

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

It may be an idea to install Perian as well (codec support for quicktime)

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Vegas_baby99

Vegas_baby99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
MPEGStreamclip will do that

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

It may be an idea to install Perian as well (codec support for quicktime)

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components

When I moved a .mp4 file into the program and tried to convert to .avi, the file did not work. I was just testing the program so I did not change any of the standard settings.. There was a pop-up asking for frame rate. I tried 30 fps yet there was an error. Is there a standard rate I should be using?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Try Handbrake - it's free, has nice presets and is easy to use.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
orfeas0

orfeas0 is on a distinguished road

hey that's exactly what i wanted to ask and registered to this forum so i am using visualhub, it is very easy, has many options and i like it but i have 1 problem. it sometimes says something about a codec error. i guess it doesn't have the codec, but the video IS working on VLC. so is there any way i can make visualhub work with any codec? i'm gonna try handbrake now and tell you if it works.

edit: so i did it with handbrake and i'm impressed it did convert it. although, it's a m4v file but had set it to convert to mp4 h.264. is mp4/m4v the same? i want to put it on my iphone

edit2: i see that the .mp4 files i have from visualhub conversion have as info "mp4 movie" while the .m4v has as info "mp4 video". it doesn't really matter anyway huh?
QUOTE Thanks
orfeas0

orfeas0 is on a distinguished road

problem: message from itunes: m4v videos cannot be copied to iphone because it cannot play that type of file, and handbrake doesn't convert to mp4.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you use the Apple > "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset, you should get a file that should work for you.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
andyparker01

andyparker01 is an unknown at this point

Any DVD Cloner can b used to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
superchargedgp

superchargedgp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme

i also recommend handbrake
QUOTE Thanks
tider

tider is on a distinguished road

I have a similiar problem. I have an .avi file that I want to transfer to a dvd. I experimented and used handbrake and converted it to mp4 and then burned it to a dvd using Toast 10 titanium.

What would be the best format to burn an .avi file to a dvd and still keep the quality of the video? What would be the best route to do this, ie. which software or codecs to use?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
EthanOSX

EthanOSX is an unknown at this point

Maybe try www.vixy.net?

Apple Inc.
QUOTE Thanks
nikonjems

nikonjems is on a distinguished road

you can use WinXMedia AVI/WMV MP4 Converter 3.15 which is free to download.
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

Look in to ffmpegX, it'll do the job better than anything else.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Is there any program free like Handbrake that will convert video any format into DVD format? Thanks.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
smaced

smaced is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to convert the .avi file + a .srt (subtitles) into one mp4? so it can be used in the ipod
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will my macbook be able to handle AVCHD footage? | Connect Macbook to Direct Tv HD DVR »