New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Getting the widescreen video format WITHOUT the black letterbox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fixie701

fixie701 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm making a website and trying to put up a video with a format similar to this one's website.

I'm using a regular DV camera (which has the 16x9) format.

My problem is that I shot my video in 16x9 format but when I import it, then export it from iMovie, the black letterbox is still part of the video. But as you can see from the website I linked from above, I don't want that letterbox.

So is there a way to get rid of this letterbox?
- Should I be shooting in regular 4:3 format, or 16x9 format?
- Does iMovie even allow this capability?
- If not, how do I do it in final cut pro?

Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

First, ALWAYS post the version of software you are asking about.

Second, that site was a bad example because I didn't have the patience to wait for it to load. Yuk for making me having to wait.

What options are you using for the export? Is the video in 16x9 format in iMovie when you are editing it and does it preview in 16x9 properly? Did you make your project 16:9 when you created it?

Lastly, perhaps you need to use a custom export option. See my iMovie Export Guide about this.

And yes, iMovie can export wide screen formats without the bars, as can FCP.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
fixie701

fixie701 is on a distinguished road

hi, thanks for the reply

i'm using both iMovie and FCP and I shot it in both 16x9 and Normal format.

If someone can teach me how to import/export these videos without the black letterbox bars, that would be awesome. (For both 16x9 or Normal format - whichever one is ideal, I just shot in both because I didn't know which format is ideal to start with)

THanks
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

Greetings

This may help.

If you ensure that Automatic DV Pillarboxing and Letterboxing is unticked (under 'Import Preferences') when you import to iMovie, then you should fix this.

Picture 1.png

I hope so.

Cheers M
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixie701 View Post
i'm using both iMovie and FCP
What versions?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with iMovie settings for high quality YouTube videos. | Which movie making software? »