New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie-- File too big?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Markistanai

Markistanai is on a distinguished road

So, I want to make a video on my iMovie and I tried to drag the movie into it. However, it says the file is too big which makes me incapable of creating this video. Any ideas on what I should do so it will fit? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What version of iMovie are you using?

Search the forum for splitting video into parts.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Markistanai

I have iMovie HD - iBook version.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

we need to know the version number, if your video is hi-def then earlier versions of imovie may not support it

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Markistanai

Oooh I see. I looked under info and it said:

5.0.2 (111)

Does this help? ^^;
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Is the file you are trying to import larger than 2GBs? If so, then I think that version of iMovie doesn't support such large files. I can't remember what version that changed though. Likely the 6x series.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Markistanai

Yeah, the thing is is that the file is less than 2GBs and it's still 'too big' for iMovie. I tried to make the film smaller by trying to convert it to iPod size with this program but unfortunately it didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markistanai View Post
Yeah, the thing is is that the file is less than 2GBs and it's still 'too big' for iMovie. I tried to make the film smaller by trying to convert it to iPod size with this program but unfortunately it didn't work.
if that's what you want to do then try MPEG Streamclip

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Older versions of iMovie (such as yours) use the .dv file format internally, so anything you drag in will be converted into that format. However .dv files are pretty large (1 hour = ~13GB ), so you'll want to have quite a bit of disk space handy, otherwise iMovie won't be able to import the file.
QUOTE Thanks
dds102030

dds102030 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I have found that it completely depends on the version of the iMovie as it can range quite a lot I have found

Natalie
Wedding invitations, games and jigsaws from Denby Dale Stationers
QUOTE Thanks
iTouch

iTouch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod - iMac

Yea, it depends on different things with iMovie and stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quicktime fullscreen from internet | Working on an old PowerPC G4 »