Thread: Burning dvd

Smile Burning dvd
    Hi. I posted a question yesterday. I just wanted to respond that I never indicated that I was trying to make an illegal copy. We have a bunch of dvd's which were recorded from the t.v (Dragontales, Blues Clues)., using our dvd recorder, which has since broken. I didn't think this would break any sort of copywrite laws, since these were available on the t.v. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. I do try to model values to my children, and didn't think copying t.v. shows was bad.

With that being said, if anybody has any suggestions for what I should do to get these files available for use on a dvd burning software, I would appreciate it. I did try a kind suggestion to try dragging the file onto the burning software, but I can't seem to make this work. I can't seem to drag the files anywhere. If I try dragging it onto the icon, nothing happens. If I drag the file to the place where it shows the source with the list of things on the computer, nothing happens. So, I guess I could use specifics on where to drag it. Again, I'm trying to use burn, or dvd copy.....when I try to choose the source, I can't highlight any of the dvd's I was able to put on. Obviously I'm totally new to this, so I need specifics:-).

I really just wanted to clear my name...I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to do anything wrong. The shows are readily available to anyone, so I really didn't think making a copy was wrong. That's it

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    As far as I know, it is not illegal to backup unencrypted TV shows that were broadcast over the air. It's when you try to "rip" a DVD (even one you own) that it starts to get legally questionable - particularly when that ripping process involves breaking encryption.

Looking back over your thread, you specifically stated that you used Handbrake to rip the DVDs so that they could be viewed on an iPod. That's where you stepped in it.

For better or worse, The Digital Millennium Copyright Act specifically prohibits the breaking of any kind of encryption, regardless of whether you own the physical medium. Since this board follows US law, this topic is not open for discussion here.

If you need further clarification, please send me a private message by clicking on my name to the left. DO NOT open another thread in regard to this topic please.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information