New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Please educate me about iMac G5 to be a TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

Hi...

I have a beginner question to ask and am seeking for an expert advise and suggestion.

My plans are;

1) Use my iMac G5 as a TV and watch a regular TV program through iMac (I subscribe a local cable). I can do the opposite; play movies by iMac G5 and watch them with my 52" TV.

2) Whatever the programs I watch through iMac G5, I would like to record (as recording to VHS tape in old days) them such as sports or movies.

3) I would like to convert VHS taped contents to the digital media (burn them to DVD). I have a tons of football videos from the last 15 years. I want to put them into DVDs. I believe this particular information was referenced in MacWorld magazine but could not remember which issue was.

What I need to know are;

Any adapters or software I should get to complete my plans. I recently received a catalog from Macsales and it listed devices from Elgato. It seems they could be a key for this mission but I do not know much about.

I do not have any time limit to finish my project. If someone has a great idea or suggestion that I do not have to invest a huge amount (say over $300), that would be the best.

And if someone has a good success story, similar to what I intend to do, please share it with me...

Thanks for reviewing my post.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I have the elgato eyetv 250 plus tuner and it can do everything you are wanting to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

Was that a 52' TV? How big is your room?
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

oops, it was 52"...

Murlyn, thanks for your information. I should look into that device, then.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I have an Elgato EyeTV. It too has an input port that allows recording from S-Video or RCA devices. It is also $50 cheaper than their 250 model.

You need to pay attention to what the requirements are for the device you want to buy. For instance the Elgato lists that OS X 10.4 is required for their solution.

For point 3, remember that most bought DVD and VHS movies have a signal that disallows clean recordings. That requires another box known as a video stabilizer. Keep in mind that this is a very time consuming process.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

xstep, thanks for your advise. I've ordered Elgato Eye TV 250 Plus from Macsales. They had a refurbished one available by Elgato and I saved about $50. It should arrive before the weekend. I will keep it posted how it goes. A friend of mine did VHS-DVD on his PC and told me it took very long and the DVD quality was not as good as expected.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

To update...

I got an Elgato Eye TV 250 Plus from OWC on Friday and set it up as instructed. This is a great device and I enjoy it very much. Only I need now is a longer coaxial cable. OWC is very fast to ship.

I now can do exactly what I wanted; record TV program and convert VHS to DVD.

I thank Murlyn and xstep for the great advise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone using EyeTV w/Direct TV Source? | Two Video Cards, 2 Monitors, Motion/FCP »