New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Working on an old PowerPC G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

G4Powermacuser

G4Powermacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power PC G4, 867 MHz, 640 MB of memory, Bus speed = 133 MHz, GeForce2 MX video card by NVIDIA

Hi, I am on a PowerPC G4 which I bought in 2001. I installed iLife 08 on it, so I have the upgraded iPhoto software, but apparently i need to have a G5 or Intel processor in order to use iMovie 08. Thus, I'm stuck with iMovie 06. When I first bought the computer, I could use Adobe Premiere, but Leopard doesn't let me use Premiere (whereas Tiger OSX did), so that's why I'm using iMovie. Anybody else have this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Others might be interested in knowing what you mean by; "Leopard doesn't let me use Premiere". Can you not install it? If you can, does it crash or hand in some fashion during startup or use? I know it isn't the current version which is Intel only, so what version of Premiere are you talking about?

I'm just curious, but perhaps a little more information might bring in an experienced Premiere user to your request for information.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
G4Powermacuser

Mac Specs: Power PC G4, 867 MHz, 640 MB of memory, Bus speed = 133 MHz, GeForce2 MX video card by NVIDIA

Hello xstep. I have Premiere installed, and I was able to open it when I was running Tiger. But now that I'm running Leopard, it tells me that it's a classic application. I get the message: "The application "Adobe Premiere 6.0 cannot be launched." And I get an error number 10828.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Leopard does not run Classic apps full stop.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

One option might be to install Tiger on a partition or an external drive.

Another might be an OS 9 emulator as mentioned here.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G4 you would be pretty disappointed with any emulator as they are so slow! Have you considered updating Premiere to Leopard as this link says:-

Leopard Coverage: Adobe’s Plans for Leopard | MacApper

Another option with the 867 may be two drives, one set up with OS 9.2.2 to run your programs?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

The new Premiere for OS X is Intel only.

QUOTE Thanks
G4Powermacuser

Okay, thanks for your answers. I will try running OS9 on an external drive and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie-- File too big? | Visualhub goes opensource »