New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

using an older power mac for editing !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Hi Guys,

I've just moved from the UK to the USA and I'm thinking of buying a cheap G5 to use as a video editing machine until I can afford to get a newer machine ...

Is it worth getting a PowerMac G5 Dual Processor 2Ghz with 5 or 6 gigs or ram inside it ????? Will it be up to the job of doing some casual video editing?

I have a 2.6Ghz intel Core 2 Duo MacBook but I'd like to get my hands on a desktop unit as well ....

Thanks in advance,

mojo
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojofilter View Post
Is it worth getting a PowerMac G5 Dual Processor 2Ghz with 5 or 6 gigs or ram inside it ????? Will it be up to the job of doing some casual video editing?
Yes and yes.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Thanks,

I've just picked up a 2.5 GHz Quad with 4 gig of ram so I might be ok :-)

mojo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Express - some questions | Question about video »