New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DV files are waaay too large?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBookMe!

MacBookMe! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Okay, I'm buying my first camcorder today. It will be a Sony Handycam DCR-HC62. It's MiniDV.

I read somewhere that DV files are extremely large. So if I record an hour long video, how big will the file be? like 60gb??

I only have about 38gb free on my hard drive, so does this mean I can't make very big movies? If a DVD is only 4.7gb, then I just don't get how this will work....

Please help!

Thanks

EDIT: Should have said before, I will be editing them with iMovie HD '06.

White MacBook - Early-2008 - Base Model
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I think iMovie transcodes the clips when importing , so there will be .mov files imported to your hard drive rather than DV
QUOTE Thanks
koolpenguin89

koolpenguin89 is on a distinguished road

When you make a DVD you compress the footage to MPEG2, not DV, so it will be much smaller. And yes, Imovie converts your DV clips to AIC when capturing, which is why they are so big. I recommend you buy an external hard drive.

Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

iMovie takes the DV content straight into a project folder. No conversion, that I'm aware occurs, short of creating .dv container file.

One hour of miniDV footage is approximately 13GB.

Once you have edited it, the easiest way to move the edit to iDVD (in iMovie versions older that iMovie 08) is to use the iDVD option in the Share menu. iDVD then knows where the file is so don't delete or move your iMovie project. iDVD at some point in the process, converts the file to an MPEG2. That hour of video will be converted to a smaller size to fit on a DVD. It will also likely take a long time to re-encode.

You might want to review Apple's online tutorials, supposing you have a high speed internet connection. Click the Help menu in iDVD and chose the Tutorials option.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolpenguin89 View Post
And yes, Imovie converts your DV clips to AIC when capturing...
That does not happen with miniDV tapes.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolpenguin89 View Post
I recommend you buy an external hard drive.
I have an external hard drive, but how do I tell iMovie to import the tape to that instead of the internal drive?

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

When you create the iMovie project (pre 08), you save it to the external drive before importing.

QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
When you create the iMovie project (pre 08), you save it to the external drive before importing.
Thanks it works!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVDSP 4 Problem need some help (ASAP) | optimum performance setting? »