Exclamation Converting DV videos to flash video format
    I need to convert DV videos to flash video format on my imac g5. The process on the pc is to firstly install a Panansonic video codec, in order to edit the video. Is this this required when working on the mac?
    The DV firstly has to be converted to XVID or VIDX to then convert to flash video format.
    Is this process the same on the mac and are there any codecs that need to be installed before the process? Also are there any open source software that would convert XVID/VIDX to flash video format or even from DV to VIDX/flash video format.
    At the moment i have final ct studio 6. Im not sure if that could do the job?

Thanks

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
    Look at one of the many video conversion apps out there eg

visual hub
    isquint
    quicktime
    ffmpegx
    mpeg stream clip
    etc

one (or more) of them will be fit to convert it for you

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Quote Originally Posted by DROPT35 View Post
    I need to convert DV videos to flash video format on my imac g5. The process on the pc is to firstly install a Panansonic video codec, in order to edit the video. Is this this required when working on the mac?
    Nobody can tell you that without knowing the camera specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by DROPT35 View Post
    The DV firstly has to be converted to XVID or VIDX to then convert to flash video format.
    Why the extra conversion? Are you going to embed this XVID/VIDX format into a flash file? Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?

It looks like Visual Hub might be a decent answer for converting to Flash.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Quicktime doesn't do flash. Flash non-std?
    Just a clarification, quicktime doesn't do conversions to flash.

And with regards to the question "Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?", when I send quicktime/mpeg-4 videos to my relatives, about 25% of them can't view the video. Most people can view flash videos (eventhough they're lower quality)

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Look at one of the many video conversion apps out there eg

visual hub
    isquint
    quicktime
    ffmpegx
    mpeg stream clip
    etc

one (or more) of them will be fit to convert it for you

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Ben,

I was referring to the XVID/VIDX formats as non standard. I did some extra reading and found that Xvid is suppose to be MPEG-4, but if so, why not just use Apple's MPEG-4 encoding. It sounds to me like the OP doesn't know his tools, and I learned something new too.

Your note regarding distribution would also be true about Flash with embedded MPEG-4 I think. I thought that was a feature they only recently added to the Flash capability. That means many many people would have to upgrade to be able to see such files. So for now it would be better to use the older video codecs available in Flash. I mention this more for the OPs sake.

By the way you could export to a .mp4 file instead of .mov file. That might lower that 25%. Although if you are near the 0% mark, Flash is clearly better for you needs for now.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by bslade View Post
    Just a clarification, quicktime doesn't do conversions to flash.

And with regards to the question "Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?", when I send quicktime/mpeg-4 videos to my relatives, about 25% of them can't view the video. Most people can view flash videos (eventhough they're lower quality)

Ben
    If you just want something that keeps the file sizes low, has decent quality and is watchable on almost anything out there, download Flip4Mac and export your video as a .wmv

Even though many Mac users may not like them, the fact of the matter is the majority of people out there have PCs and ALL of those are going to have Window Media Player on them.
    "Mac users swear by their Macs, PC users swear at their PCs."

Thread Information