New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Brightening an Mpeg(Mp4) movie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrschmitt

mrschmitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram

I have what I'm hoping is a relatively simple request. I have an mpeg movie in mp4 format. This movie is extremely dark and I want to brighten it significantly and then resave it. This movie is going to be burned to disc and played in a DVD player so simply adjusting the brightness on my mac won't do it for me. Ideally I am looking for a free option, but I am willing to pay for additional software if I have to. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
tcross04

tcross04 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core

use MPEG Streamclip

http://www.squared5.com/

peace
T

Apple makes it easy to be an artist or a hack, don't be a hack.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If you have a version of iMovie, you could apply a brightness effect to the movie. You can also do this when using the advanced export options.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
mrschmitt

mrschmitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram

I first downloaded mpeg StreamClip and I could not find anything within the program that allowed my to "lighten" the video. I also tried the iMovie route. I have the newest version of iMovie, but to be honest have not really used it too much. I will tell you what I did, and maybe you can help me to get further. I opened up iMovie and then chose Import Movie. I chose my mp4 movie. Now I don't know what to do. The export options are all grayed out. I somehow have to end up with a movie of the same format, but much brighter. On a side note, this mp4 movie was converted from a .mov originally. Is the Mpeg 4 format the best quality format to convert to, or is there another format that my dvd player will recognize that is better quality. Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Vertically in the middle of iMovie 08 is a bar with buttons. See the picture below. You can use one of the buttons or just hit the V key to bring up the Video Adjustments window where you can change the brightness. Select the whole video in a project and then do that to adjust to your taste.

If your DVD player plays Mpeg4 files that is great. You could also use iDVD to make a DVD that will play in most modern DVD players. My older player can't read either.
Attached Images
File Type: png iMovieScreenSnapz001.png (25.6 KB, 5 views)

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

I'm no StreamClip expert, but when I choose "Export to MPEG-4...", I see that there is a "Adjustments..." button near the bottom right of the window that comes up. In there is a brightness adjustment.

Note you probably want to change the "Compression" to "Apple MPEG4 Compressor" in the first window that appears.

Finally, realize that playing with just the brightness isn't often the best choice. You may play with the other options too, and I've found on stills that playing with the contrast helps balance things out a little better. Notice that iMovie gives you more options. You may also have to play with it to get it just right for your taste.

QUOTE Thanks
tcross04

tcross04 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core

thanks xstep, you picked up where I left off.

peace
T

Apple makes it easy to be an artist or a hack, don't be a hack.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Dilemma | New Video! »