New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Compressor suddenly non-functioning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dogplant

dogplant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz / 152 GB & 232 GB & 4 x Lacie 500 GB external / 3.5 GB RAM / OSX 10.4.10

I've been using Compressor, exporting out of Final Cut Studio, on and off for the last six months during postproduction of my 13-minute high-def short. I never had a problem with Compressor, until recently. I can export a program, set up all my settings and my destination, but when I hit 'submit' it just hangs there with estimated time of completion 'unknown.'

I've tried rebooting, and walking away and leaving it for hours, but it just sits there doing nothing. Quicktime conversion out of Final Cut works okay, but that does not have as much functionality.

I'm wondering if I have run out of space required to operate Compressor on my hard-drive, because I'm getting up there -- I have two internal hard drives, with 150 GB and 230 GB capacities, 28 GB remaining on #1 and 34 GB remaining on #2. But Compressor isn't telling me anything; it's just refusing to work, no matter the size of the project I try to export.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Open the Console.app in the Applications/Utilities folder and then start you FCP and Compressor process. Look in the console log for possible clues. It sounds to me like Compressor is waiting for something. Are the sequences in FCP all rendered?

Space doesn't sound like a problem unless you are rendering to an uncompressed format. But I would think you would get a message warning you of the problem, or you would see, via the Finder, the disk loosing space as the render works on. Doesn't sound like you get that far though otherwise the status bars would show that.

Many people at this stage would scrap the Compressor preference file, and maybe the FCP preference file next.

You should also go to the Apple discussion forums as their is likely more users over there.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
It sounds to me like Compressor is waiting for something. Are the sequences in FCP all rendered?
I found out this weekend that when FCP calls Compressor, the sequences do not have to be rendered. That, according to a Compressor tutorial I was watching.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
dogplant

dogplant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz / 152 GB & 232 GB & 4 x Lacie 500 GB external / 3.5 GB RAM / OSX 10.4.10

Thanks for your advice, xstep.

My problem has been solved by following your advice and chatting in this thread, where some other people were having the same problem at Apple's Compressor message board:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....61613&tstart=0

To summarize: I cleared out preference files for Compressor, Batch and FCP, rebooted, and then this morning discovered my Batch Monitor had been stacking jobs after an earlier render attempt had failed. When I cleared these out, it solved the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help creating DVD from .pptx / .ppt and vcd files | Final Cut Express 4 - Tutorial? »