New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

(FCP)16:9 video is saved as 4:3 - How do I remove the black bars and make it 16:9?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Squichie

Squichie is on a distinguished road

La la la la la~
I hope that title made sense
ok so...
I have been shooting in dv widescreen, and editing with it, with the intention to export a widescreen video to dvd.
I was just bout to export when I noticed my partner in crime had exported the widescreen video in the standard 4:3 ratio. Because of this, (it wasnt exported anamorphically...)the exporter placed the black widescreen bars on the top and bottom. So when I open it now in a movie player, it displays the black widescreen bars, and when I try to convert it back to 16:9, the black bars stay, and the image looks squished. How can I in Final Cut Pro(5), fix this?

Hope this made sense~
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I didnt know what to search for though to find if it was~
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I don't see the problem. You have been editing it (in wide screen I presume) and still have that project, right? If so, export again in which other format you want.

By the way, it is strongly suggested by pros that you do a proof of concept of your work flow all the way to the output formats. In your case that means your DVD creation too.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
phxazmacaddict

phxazmacaddict is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs

Precisely. The edited project should still be intact as a singular file on your hard drive, I would hope. Simply go into your properties and change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.

Cheers!

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I think I miss my mind the most." -- Calvin
QUOTE Thanks
Squichie

Squichie is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bros
Lots of help

Yes yes, the projects still exist, and I can still re-export them.

Definitely still have a tidbit of a problem

So it came to the realization that when we edit new projects, we have to set the sequences setting to anamorphic (16:9) in order for it to look right and for us to export properly

Unfortunately, if you do that while things are already imported into the sequences timeline, then if you set that after, the image retains the black bars on the top, and once again there is a squished image.

Were using 2 editors BTW: FCE, and FCP5
Ack!

What I did as a bandaid, is that I would export it anamorphed in 4:3 so it was a tall image with no black bars, then reimport it and put it to 16:9, so the image displays properly

However I have a keen suspicion that this is a bad way to do it, as if the pixels wont be displayed properly or something.

there must be another way to save all my old footage. We have 5 weeks worth of projects that need to be fixed. We do allot of editing to the footage too, so remaking them is not a practical option, unless there was a copy and paste function.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can FCP output raw uncompressed DV? | How do I edit a MOVIE? »