New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Types of flat screen TVs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gary61071

gary61071 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video

I see there's HDTV, Plasma and LCD. What are the differences among them?
Why are some larger screens cheaper than some smaller screens? For example, Best Buy/Circuit City etc, may have a 42" X brand for $750 and then I see a 37" Y brand for $850. Why is that?

"Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

HDTV isn't a type of flat screen TV, it's simply a technology within TVs, and they don't have to be flat either. HDTV stands for High Definition Television, so pretty much any TV with a 720p or higher resolution can be considered an HDTV.

There are two flat panel types of TVs, plasma and LCD. They're both very good technologies that provide very thin TVs. You can only find plasmas in the larger sizes, whereas you can find LCD TVs in all sizes. Historically, LCD TVs have been more expensive than plasmas, but have come down significantly in price since their introduction, and are about on par with plasma TVs now. There's really not much of a quality difference, though it has been argued that plasmas reproduce better blacks, but it really varies as there are many LCD TVs that also have great black reproduction.

As for the price difference, it could essentially boil down to the type of display (LCD vs. plasma), the features in the display, and the resolution. A smaller screen with a higher resolution costs more to make than a larger screen with a smaller resolution, which is why it costs more.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
gary61071

Thanks for the info Kash. I obviously have no knowledge of these newer digital TVs. I have a 13 year old 25" RCA crt tv that still works great, except that it'll require the digital converter box which I already have. So for the most part I only glance at the new TVs and go about my shopping.

We'll be renting a house at the start of September. My mother-in-law suggested we give our girls the RCA tv with the VCR hookup for their Sesame Street tapes and treat ourselves with a flat screen. Hey, that's a great idea. I figure with our next year's tax return we'll splurge on one. It's still early now, but I wanted to hear some opinions of what to buy.

I'm leaning towards the 37" or 42". Not too big and not too small. Plus the price range on those sizes are between $700-$1000. I noticed the Vizio brand compared to others is lower priced. Do they rate near the bottom? Can anyone give me some positives on this brand?

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you are planning to have a game console connected up like an Xbox 360 or a PS3, then look at LCDs.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
gary61071

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
If you are planning to have a game console connected up like an Xbox 360 or a PS3, then look at LCDs.
I have a PS2, but I hardly play video games anymore. Is LCD still recommended? It's possible we might buy a Wii for Christmas, though, if we can find one.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To be honest, I've used multiple consoles on both plasmas and LCDs and they both look great. Plasma technology has evolved to the point where its response time is just as good as an LCD's, so you don't get that "ghosting" or lag people would experience with earlier models.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Vizio makes cheap TV's. Contrast is lower, colors are less vibrant, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
To be honest, I've used multiple consoles on both plasmas and LCDs and they both look great. Plasma technology has evolved to the point where its response time is just as good as an LCD's, so you don't get that "ghosting" or lag people would experience with earlier models.
Plasma's are also more prone to burning.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bad Quality, Sony HDD, Exporting & a 1000 other questions... | Inserting Video into Powerpoint »