New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Idiot here - how do I burn a playable DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

antipode

antipode is on a distinguished road

Please, can anyone help?

I've tried more times than I can count...

I have videos on my hard drive that I'd like to burn to a stand-alone DVD PLAYER. I can't seem to do it.

My current project has me burning either
A) a .mov that I exported from PowerPoint
or
B) if not, then individual .wmv video clips to be played on a DVD PLAYER

Here's what I've got: iDVD 6, iMovie 6, Visual Hub, DVD Creator, MPEG Streamclip, Burn by Sourceforge, ffmpegX, mac the ripper, VLC (and I tried iVCD but it wouldn't play in the DVD player...). Running a G4 10.4, using Memorex DVD-R for my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105. (I previously was using Sony DVD-RWs but they never seemed to work, either...)

I'm not against buying a good piece of software if it in fact will do the job.

Help!!!

EDIT: OK, I've gotten as close as creating an ISO file and burning it to a DVD through Disk Utility. It works on my mac, but not on my DVD player, though.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

burn should be able to do the job, especially if the source is a mov file

I use Toast myself but have you tried any of the burnt DVDs in another DVD player, since you say they work on the mac but not the player

I have had no problems myself creating DVDs from a number of formats
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the format of these videos? AVI? MOV? MP4?

I use Toast for doing what you want to do and it works great, but the conversion from say AVI to DVD takes quite a while. Burn might very well work. I have not tried it in that way.
QUOTE Thanks
antipode

I converted a PowerPoint to a MOV file.

Using Burn, I got a message that claimed "Burn unable to encode one file -- no audio/ video." However, Quicktime can play the MOV just fine.

I came closest by converting the file through VisualHub, then burning through Disk Utility. That one played on the mac, but not on TV.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which version of Visual Hub is this? The one I have converts the AVI's to DVD format and will burn the DVD at the end also.
QUOTE Thanks
antipode

VisualHub 1.34

It offers to burn when finished, which I did, but the disk didn't read on any player.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Are you sure your DVD player reads -R's? Some don't.
Or try a different brand of media, something a tad more reliable than Memorex.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Are you sure your DVD player reads -R's? Some don't.
Or try a different brand of media, something a tad more reliable than Memorex.
A lot of older players do not like you said read DVD -R's. I have a top of the line Sony that has issues with most -R's.
QUOTE Thanks
antipode

Not something I'd considered before.

I'll have to look into it -- it's a 2003 Toshiba combo TV/DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
antipode

I'm beginning to think maybe it does have something to do with the DVD players.

I have two older Toshibas: a 5-disk, and a TV/DVD combo. Both *claim* to play DVD-R. neither has had success yet. I have suspicions.

The little research I have been able to accumulate on these models shows some people having trouble, but nothing definitive.

For the record, the DVD/TV combo is model MD20FN3R.

I'll have to try it on a newer DVD player.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« weird error message using popcorn | Saw an iMac for the first time... »