New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

EyeTv and HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

creaturenex

creaturenex is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I just got paid and I am trying to buy an eyeTv product for my iMac I wanted to watch cable from the dorm so all I have is a coaxial cable for imput, does the eyetv 250 plus have an attachment for that? I can't seem to see a connector on it. I like that it has the software included. But if it does not have the connector would the hybrid be my only choice? How does it compare to the hybrid for those who know? Also I want to buy an external HD. I'm looking at WD My book studio edition 1TB. Its cheaper on amazon.com would you recommend buying it from there or another source?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The 250 Plus specs say "Antenna input: Coaxial connector (IEC)". That connector allows you connect cable or an antenna with the appropriate connector.

You can't see the connector because the buggers didn't place a picture of the back of the unit on the image gallery page.

Before you buy that drive, look for reviews and complaints about it.

For others in the States thinking of buying Elgato tuners, check out Elgato's digital transition page.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Lucion

Lucion will become famous soon enough

I am using a 250 Plus at the moment. I just looked at it and it has coax input. I don't use that feature, but the directions show it can be used that way. Check out the Quick Start Guide. The documentation can all be found here.

I actually really like the software it came with, EyeTV 3. I have it set up in the corner of my screen, set to always on top, and all the menus disabled so it is bascially just a window showing TV. I've not used it for anything but watching TV, but it does include PVR features.

I sound like a shill for Elgato, but honestly the product does everything I wanted it to so I am very happy with it.

I bought both the 250 Plus and a My Book Studio II from Amazon. Probably not the cheapest, but I have Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping) and no tax so it worked out best for me.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

The hybrid doesn't have an internal MPEG encoder, the 250 does.

I use the 250 for both Cable and my PS2, works perfectly!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I have the eyeTV 250 Plus and my comcast cable is currently the direct source (no STB) and it includes some HD channels (locals) as well as digital signals. It drew my attention because this model does have a digital tuner as well as analog so it won't be too worthless next year, although if you have a dedicated cable box source it should be fine.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help capturing segments of DVD (unprotected) | How do I make a Video Clip go Backwards? »